5-speed Gearbox/Clutch question

Micra 110

Site Supporter
I'm presently working on a 1989 GSX 1.2. 5-speed

I Jacked up the Car on the passenger side to place the Axle stand. One of the first things i do is spin the wheel just to check the Brakes aren't binding, catching etc.
As i span the wheel i could hear this 'click' or 'tick' 'tick' 'tick' noise from the Gearbox area. The noise is also there when moving.
I've noticed Blue Hylomar sealant around the Gearbox so it's obvious someone has had the Gearbox off for some reason not known to me.....

...is it possible that the Clutch is out of allignment?
...maybe the Clutch is in backwards?
...Driveshaft Bearings?
...is there anything else that would make that sort of noise?

It doesn't sound healthy whatever it is :(

TIA :)

start from the front and work back, so first of all, check the metal plate behind the brake disk. These cause a variety of different sounds when they scrape the brake disk. get a screwdriver and hammer, and wack it back a bit.

I've double checked the Brakes etc and it's definately coming from the Gearbox.:(

It sounds like a Rachet for a better description.......

sounds like the driveshaft really, take it too a garage and see what they say it is....its free to do that, then try and fix it yourself.

micra 110

i would spin both wheels, to rule out the diff
then take out the speedo drive and listen down the hole
the clutch would be stationary, so i doubt its that
if the box has been apart previously, ist looking a bit ominous

Mine clicks, not as loud s a ratchet. More of a midget with a ratchet, I just thought it was meant to do that. Mine only does it when there's one wheel on the ground though.

If you don't know what you're doing with gearboxes take it to a professional.

Thanks for the replys peeps:)
....i'll get the Garage to have a look after i've fitted an Exhaust when it arrives.....

Back