Gearbox Oil Renewal - Problem!

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
I was planning on renewing my gearbox oil today but I've spent hours stuck on one piece.... :(

I've taken off the 10mm bolt that holds the speedometer gear drive in place, and I can unscrew the speedo cable itself, but the drive assembly just will NOT budget.

It's obviously not been moved for 12 years.

Any tips on how to get the speedo drive assembly out? I'm at a loss and can't replace the oil until this part has been removed :(.

Thanks

its easier if you unscrew the drive cable from the top, but use a flat edge (a stiff knife for example) and tap it in under the edge, it will come loose eventually...though your back wont appreciate it :)

if its a 1.3 box, takeout the plug at the front of the gearbox??

To drain or to fill it up??? I know about the drain plug with the 1/4" square socket but I wanted to get access to the top of the box before I drained the oil. Otherwise I would be in trouble!

According to the Haynes, anything up to 1997 you need to remove the speedo drive to check the level and fill with oil.....

Anything from 98-99 is a different setup. Where is this other plug then? :eek:

Solarice, I've tried that but will keep trying I guess. It's almost like it's welded itself to the gearbox :suspect:. Not much room to get a flat edge in either.

Thinking about it - do you not need to losen something with a 21 ish spanner?

I've taken the speedo cable securing nut off, that wasnt a problem.

frank, what's that? :wow:

So for my 97' SR where would I find the fill plug?! Going by the Haynes it said the filling was done via the speedo cable entry point?

The drain plug I can see, so where's the fill plug?!

97SR 1.3 will have a fill hole on the front of the box opposite the rad about half way up.

97SR 1.3 will have a fill hole on the front of the box opposite the rad about half way up.

Thanks Ed. Frank, Stani and Dave had now all said this....I think I better check next weekend.

Shame the Haynes is so vague/pap.

:)

i was talking about to fill it up, thats the one i use most of the time as its easier, as you'll find out lol its similiar to the drain plug apart from its smaller and like ed said opposite the radiator half way up :D

Nope, used the fill plug thats on the 1.3 boxes (which the Haynes didn't make clear), haha! Much easier! It's halfway up the gearbox and opposite the radiator. After draining the oil I used a piece of hose and a funnel to fill it again.

Much smoother gear changes and I can definately notice a difference. :)

Back