Idling problem + gearbox oil.

Hi guys,
I've just swaped a good running engine into the white shell last night. Its not idling now, it hunts all the time, revs up to maybe 2000 then down to 1000 and up to 2000 and so on. Its got me stumped!
Could somebody suggest whats wrong with it! I have the pipe on going to the underside of the airbox and have a black and green one going to the top of the charcol canister, is this right?

I need to top the gearbox up, i assume i have to do it threw the speedo drive, how do i know when its had enough? sae90 ok for it?
Oh and theres a wee wire on the chassis rail close to the battery tray, its earthed to the boddy and has a single spade on the end, where does this plug on to? :D :D

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Engine : possibly an air leak? you should have i think 4 hoses coming form the back of the inlet manifold...small pipe at the front goes to fuel pressure reg, then theres three at the back ones the brake control so can be ignored, below that a thick black pipe goes to underneath of carbon canister, and the small pipe goes to the vaccum port on the carbon canister...if you look closely at the cansiter there is info stamped on it for hose positions.

you can actually block all the canister pipes and then try running it, to help eliminate the problem as it may even be the vaccum port in the canister itself.

But id also check the throttle body for leaks aswell...and even the dizzy, incase its a ignition problem.

Gearbox : oil level is mentioned in the haynes, but i cant remeber what the limit is as you need to measure the speedo drive, from the point of the oil level.

Earth Strap : Near the battery tray theres two...on big fat one (yellow/black) under the tray itself.

but i think the one you are mentioning is behind the tray, with a plug on it...if so i think that it goes to an earthing point on the starter motor bolt, have a spy directly to the left of the earth strap fixing point and you should see a little pip on the gearbox near the startmotor (providing you havent left it off -- as i seem to remember adding it to a bolt myself before refitting)

Hope that makes sense, lol

Thats a great reply thank you!!
I changed the throttle body and the idel control valve, i dont know anout the canister bottom hose so i will have a look tommorrow.
I put it in for its mot today but it failed on fast idle on the lamda reading does this mean the cat is goosed?
Do micras have 2 cats, the mid box almost looks like one?
It seems to be starting fine without it, i thought it mite be a small earth to the starter however.
Thanks mate!!

solarice

Ex. Club Member
no worries :)

yeah they have two cats...though the manifold one is the one that does the most work, i guess it may be possible its ######ed (if your using an original manifold and not a janspeed as they'll fail an mot), but maybe also your o2 sensor...if youve got your old ones maybe worth switching them over and seeing if that helps.

I think the earth strap, is really there just to assist with the earthing as the starter does have a good few earthing points anyway.

excellent i can scrap it then without one cat and then sell the other so a scrappy and get more back on the scrap shell :wasntme: :wasntme:
Yeah i'll change that then and the o2 sensor then fingers crossed.
Whats sells okay off the micra without afftecting the scrap price, i was thinking the throttle body, any other small bits that are "wanted items"?
I'm on a mission to build this car up as cheap as possibly for my sister so anything that sells can then pay tax.
Car £20, spare crashed car with engine £80, crossmember £20, Wheel bearing £20 bits and bobs and then the mot brings it to £200.
Hopefully i will get £60 or £80 for the other car :grinning:

solarice

Ex. Club Member
cant say really on scrap price, as ive only ever scrapped one car (a k10) and that was a few years ago and because i wanted so many bits off it (wheels, radiator, dizzy, carb, etc etc) i just gave the guy what was left, which i can say wasnt a great deal lol.

Two things id say worth keeping as spares, is the heater control card its in the passenger footwell and looks like a credit card (so long as its still working correctly -- as in heater blower works on all settings) and the fuses.

You may be able to get a few quid for odd bits, you could see what people want on here depending on what youve got left...though theres more of a market for upgraded items than standard ones on here (need to be a payed member to sell on here btw :) )

Does sound like youre gonna be getting a cheap car though when youre finished :)

Yeah i've scrapped alot of cars in the past usually for free, but now scrap has rocketed in price, get £80 for a car but this ones been crashed. So hopefully £60.
Its annoying having to buy the wheel bearing for £20 as i thought id get that off the other one but it was knackered too, so thats put the buget up lol1 Was just aiming to have the cheapest mot'd and taxed car ever!
Its really because i want the car cheap so that she can put the money towards insurance!
I got it running well tonight i inspected the other engine for its breathers and found one, looked on the white car and sure enough was tucked away not connected to the carbon canistetr, i think i connected a gearbox breather or something from that area instead! LOL Cheers mate running good now, just hope that helps its emissions test, i've changed the lamda aswell.

Its now alive and kicking got its mot today!!
I'm getting £80 for the doner car fingers crossed
So grand total for the car with a new cross member and wheel bearing and a years mot £120 :D :D

solarice

Ex. Club Member
good to know its passed :)

actually ive got a confession to make just re-read my original post (after a mmm crap moment while working on my car) and the carbon canister pipes should be :

The bottom connector on the canister goes to a breather pipe (the hose that points down to the bottom of the engine bay -- its T'd to the chassis leg) as its the air feed for the canister, and not the manifold as i originally said... the one that should go to the manifold is the purge line thats underneath the black/green hose in the top.

Just in case youve linked it up the way i originally said, Dont think you have as its passed its mot, but i wouldnt want you running it that way forever...so i'll hold my hands up just in case :D

Ive got a good excuse though lol, cos ive been moving that around my engine bay so its a slightly different setup now than as standard.

and £120 is not a bad price at all, plus youve saved one from the scrappy :)