Gearbox oil changed.

hey guys first post i recently purchased a 1.0 k11 purely for commuting to work

it badly needed a service and i just carried it out. just the usual, check everything over and new plugs new oil and oil filter and air filter

car is in very good condition for its age. 25k and its a 96 model

seeing as its over 10 years old i also wanted to do the gearbox oil
armed with the trusty haynes manual i had a quick go but got stuck:wasntme:

cos its pre 98 apparently you have to remove the speedometerdrive, haynes manual states that the speedometer cable knurled retaining ring needs to be removed first before the speedometer drive can be removed

thing is haynes states " unscrew the knurled retaining ring. i tried with my hand and could not do it. i did not have a suitable sized spanner so could not try the spanner. do you have to use a spanner to losen it?? seems like stupid question but the manual is written in such a way it should be easy. if you need a spanner what size is it??

i did try and just removed the 10 mm nuts that secured the speedometer drive but it appeared stuck in the gearbox still:wasntme:

I haven't had to do this as both of my K11's are early models, which have a filler at the front of the gearbox. A spanner wont help you losen the knurled retaining ring. You'd have to use a pair of grips.

wongy008

i,ve always taken out the 10mm bolt only,
if you twist the top casting, it should break free and pull out ok !

Low rider

I am talking about manual box
i did not see a filler hole at the front?

Frank

I assume ur saying removed the 10mm
nut anc the whole unit pops out

I dont really wanna break anything lol

frank

thanks i managed to do it thanks to ur help
i had a ringht mare trying to fill it back up

took it for a trest drive and gear changed ceem nothchiergrr
i used 77w90 api5

is this the wrong grade??

wongy008

manual says 80 grade (a bit thick for this weather eh)
tbh i,ve always used engine oil,
i would see how you go, and thin it down if it does,nt improve

frank

how do you thin it down??
what engine oil your using. it seems wierd that my new stuff has made the gearchange more notchy although it does seem like its improving the more i drive it

wongy008

i thin engine oil down with deisel fuel for the wet clutches at work in the cold weather, but a 1/2 ltr of engine oil (10/40 ?) mixed with your gear oil should help.

frank

no needs the gearbox is fine now
its really light. not notchy car running like a dream

thanks for all your advices
you been really helpfull:laugh:

Back