Gearbox oil change -- Need help

CMF_Criminal.Sausage

» CMF Member
G'day,

Today I decided to give my girlfriends '95 Micra some new fluids, spark plugs etc. Not much of a problem, until...

I decided the gearbox oil needed replacement (according to the service history, this wasn't done yet), seeing the car has covered over 100k miles.
Draining the box was easy. Now comes the part where I could use some help:
I've undone the speedo cable (because I don't have the front filling orifice), but there is no M10 phillips/bolt to unscrew. There is a tapped hole though.. From the forum I understood that undoing this bolt will allow you to slightly turn/pivot the remaining assembly, before lifting it out completely.
Now that that isn't there, I can't rotate it.

So now the Micra is stranded with no gearbox oil and we desperately need it this weekend. Any input on how to fix this?

Greetings,

Eric

P.S.: Just double checked. It looks as if the part of the assembly where the M10 bolt used to be broke off. There is still some sort of ring with a couple of edges around the thread where the speedo cable was attached to. Tried to move it by apllying force to a screwdriver, but that didn't help either.

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
The speedo cable has a rubber o-ring seal. Give it a firm upwards yank and it should come out.

Otherwise there should be a filling hole on the front of the gearbox

CMF_Criminal.Sausage

» CMF Member
Thanks for your reply.
I think we are not talking about the same things here. The cable came out fine, but the housing is still in place. I will snap a picture to clarify further.
As stated in my first post, I don't have a hole on the front of the gearbox. This is still the old type gearbox ;)

2012-07-20%2017.44.48.jpg

2012-07-20%2017.45.09.jpg

or am I confusing things here? The speedo cable has been taken out already, but the hole isn't accepting oil until the rest of the assembly has been taken out. Correct?
As seen on the first picture, there is still a remainder of what I think used to be the piece that was being held by the M10 bolt.
Anyway, thanks for your help!

CMF_Criminal.Sausage

» CMF Member
Thanks for the input, but you've just pointed out the problem I was trying to describe above. The housing unit won't come off, since some parts have been broken off.

Yesterday, I filled the oil from underneath, trough the drain hole. Used a funnel, tube and cork. Everything is fine now :)

Back