Gearbox oil change

J

Jimbob

Hello everybody

I bought my first car (J reg micra) not too long ago and decided to change some simple things like engine oil, air filter etc which weren't too difficult, but got stuck with gearbox oil change and would very much appreciate some help

Micra's service manual (downloaded thanks to trevor72) has a gear oil change instruction on page MA-18 saying that to add oil one needs to remove the speedometer cable and pour oil in through that hole. Unfortunatelly I wasn't able to remove the cable the way it's shown in the manual. Here are two pictures of what I can see there http://81.19.179.34/p1.jpg - this looks similar to the manual's illustration but not quite the same (different gearbox?). I messed about with the cable for a while and managed to unscrew it but i couldn't remove the whole thing out http://81.19.179.34/p2.jpg. What I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!

oppsey comes to mind that whole bit where u screw it down should come up there should be a colum on the end with a cog which is what runs the speedo from the look of it u have removed this from the end of the cable either broken or it comes off not sure see if u can pull the rest of the unit out if u can and its broken u will have to replace it

The flange with the bolt should come away, and there is a plastic helical gear on the end. The big you've unscrewed has a square drive on the end of it that fits inside the gear. Screw it back on, and try pulling a little harder. If it doesn't come, then put the car in gear and rock it back and forth. It should come out then.

Personal experience tells me rocking it wont help at all. Usually they go stiff due to just having been still for so long. If you put a drift of some kind on the little tab and tap it with a hammer it the whole thing will rotate a bit, this should loosen it off enough to beable to move an pull out.

Ed

I expected that flange to come out as it's shown in the manual and I tried to pull it but it sits there very tightly. I didn't want to put an excessive force not to break something but it seems I should be more brutal with it :)

Thanks guys!

PS: Just to let you know - tapping it with a hammer was a total success (Y) Thanks for the tip, Ed.

Back