Gearbox oil

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
OK OK i know theres a few threads about this but here's the deal.

Castrol VMX80 is my new definition of ****house oil. Plus its slightly too thin for our temperatures.

I saved up and purchased some NEO Synthetics Platnium 75w90 HD gearbox oil. 3L is what the micra takes. Cost me a pretty penny but its long life (i should not have to replace it again in the time I own the car - I'll discuss this in a moment with what I asked of the guy who sells it).

Most importantly - it not just craps, it SHARTS all over the 20,000km old castrol VMX80 my gearbox had in it. Gearbox whine - gone. Hard to use 1st and 2nd gear - gone (and its a thicker oil so technically speaking the synchros should have been allowed to spin FASTER and work more effectively in the vmx80).

You can buy it from www.gccorp.com.au and please note i am NOT associated with this company whatsoever. I am just absolutely over the moon with these products.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
And here's some of the questions I asked Gerard:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom
Hi G,

Just weighing up the differences between the two transmission oils.

Gearboxes make waste materials constantly as synchros work etc, how does the platnium stop this shaved metal from floating in suspension in the oil? Just wondering about the whole life time fill thing they advertise. Doesnt make much sense to me right now.

Also what is the expected lifespan of the Gold transmission fluid?

Thanks,

T

gmc wrote:
Only cheap transmission oils allow metal to wear off components and end up in the oil. With good oil, the only particles in the oil will be brass, which in itself becomes a bit of a lubricant. The NEO gear oils are very strong and will protect the transmission for a very long time, beyond the car's life in most normal street applications. If racing or under heavy stress, I'd recommend intervals of approximately 50,000kms. With Platinum 75w90HD, lifetime.

Any metal in the oil will nearly always be attracted and attached to the magnetic drain plug.

Regards,
Gerard
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: neo gold 80w90 vs platnium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom
So for a 140,000km gearbox that used nissan oil until I bought it and changed to the VMX80 (which remains nice and clean, oil i dropped from it originally was very clean as well) the platnium won't be a waste of time and money?

gmc wrote:
If you haven't turbo charged the car, Gold is better than the rest. If you want to pamper your car and make the gearbox last longer than the car itself, then use the Platinum...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The website: http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/

Oh and NEO Synthetics are the only company that have approval from Xtrac (the manufacturer who makes the gearboxes for the BTCC cars) to use in their transmissions if the buyers wish to maintain their factory warrenties.. Its not marketing bull**** like castrol's magnatec.

Back