Gearbox leak!

Hey peeps,

Took the car to get a new front lower cross member changed. and found the gearbox is leaking and is not holding much oil in it. (about a litre).

But gearchange been smooth and no abnormal noises at all. The mechanics did say it is leaking out from the bell hosuing. Any ideas on this ? Is this a common fault ? As it just cost £240 to have the front cross member put on! Don't want to spend that again!

Ming

i,ve never known one to leak from the bellhousing ming fwn (usually a driveshaft seal)
are you sure they,re not blagging you ?

I will be jacking the car up into air and confirm it tonight.

He did say it could be a seal or a crack in the casing.

Is these box, sealed units? Is it wet shaft or dry shaft ?

Thanks
Ming

lol 20 questions ming :p
i would jetwash the underneath, and trace the source of the leak first (after its been topped up)

Yeah am just like that, once i found a problem am dieing to fix it :).

He did comment that it leaks straight back out as soon as he topped it up .... but gear change had been really really smooth ... which got me confused.....

Right, confirmed it is leaking. When i try to put more oil in the fill hole, the oil just comes str back out between the block and gearbox.

Not sure what it is, just incase i need a new box, could i use any box from a K11 including 0.9, 1.0 and 1.3 boxes?

Thanks
Ming

W reg 2000 0.9 Micra (K11 i believe)

Thanks
Ming

if yours is the coilpack engine (changeover was 2000) then those g/boxes are expensive, but if its the distributor type engine then any post 98 1.0, or the 1.3 one with the slightly higher diff ratio

Does what i describe, leads to any common gearbox leaks?

The gear change is perfect and going into reverse does not give out and clucking noises at all.

Ming

oko confirmed there is a crack in the gearbox hosuing. So getting it welded up with a new clutch kit fitted :0. Hopefully this will be the last of it!!

Not sure if anyone is interested, i know a place that sells 75/90 fully synth for around £5/ litre :0.

Ming

Back