Oil Leak?

Titch

Micra K11ng
Right - from one problem to the next :( :(

Think i may have a bad oil leak, but not 100% sure where it is coming from. Is it possible for the gearbox to lose alot of oil? Also, i think that its coming from the engine to, but cant see where. Any ideas on where to look first?

Gear oil won't be black, and smells really distinctive.

Normal places to check: sump plug, sump gasket, front and rear main seals, oil filter, oil pressure sender, head gasket, cam cover.

From your previous post about water loss, try looking at the head gasket. I'd stop driving it with both the problems as you'll wreck the engine.

Titch said:
Andrew said:
Gear oil won't be black, and smells really distinctive.

What kind of smell would i look for then?

I think it kind of smells garlicy or oniony. Smell a fresh bottle of it, it is all similar. Engine oil normally smells of fuel slightly. Gear oil is nearly always still clear, with a slight green/yellow tint. Gear oil is usually thicker. Gear oil tastes a lot worse.

Attachments

• Image(23).jpg
    Image(23).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Image(24).jpg
    Image(24).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 242
what garlic do you sniff o_O

lol

that made me laugh. cant say i have ever thought it smelt of galic or onion, but then both of them smell totally different.

also check the cam oil seal!!
they can go aswell.

RE: RE: Oil Leak?

quickdraw said:
glitches always ahgppen mate.

yep sure do especially doing a conversion wen u havent got a clue wer to start,
lost count of how many times the tools went flying across the garden and goin home pi**ed off,
but wen its dun it will be all werth it

wots the oil level like ?surley it is lower if its engine oil,,and ide jack the car up onto stands get under and check everywer,if you find oil wipe it off go do summat for a while n go bak and check it to see if thats the problem

Attachments

• 85mtruck_lftfrt.jpg
    85mtruck_lftfrt.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 245
Back