gearbox oil leak

Hi everyone,

found 2 posts with the same question but no resolution, so, trying again :)

I recently fitted a 98 gearbox to my super S. did it because mine had some play and shifting from 1st to 2nd on low speed was very lumpy. that cured it, as the this one had much less miles/use on it.

now the thing is:

got a massive leak of gearbox fluid coming out the gearbox breather pipe that is next to the intake upside.
it only seems to happen on motorway trips with extended periods of driving. (more than 30m as I did stop after 40k and the bottle was emtpy, but at the end of the trip...)
For 2 months just cruising in town didnt notice any leak at all, but after 2 trips of 200km i'm missing almost 1 litre... put a plastic bottle underneath to catch it, as I assumed it was just too much oil when it was changed, but no, it keeps pouring it out... got a half a 33cl bottle full in 200km driving at 140/160Kmh

apart from the obvious assle of having to wash my engine bay and underneath the car every long trip I do, and the hedious smell and smoke of the oil burning in the exhaust pipes, I'd like ts o know if anyone has any ideas...

I can always put back the old gearbox, but would prefer to sort it out. :)

thanks for your help in advance guys.

the oil level is measured from the speedo hole after removing cable, for early 1.0l micras (VIN < SJN***K11U3000000) the level should be 28-38mm from the top of the casing, whereas all the 1.3l and 1.0l after VIN code should be 45-54mm from the top. hope this helps

with the car leveled, when the oil filler plug starts to leak out, I stop. :) about 3 litres give or take.

via the speedo pickup hole at the back or the small plug hole at the front?

a super S is a 1.3 right?
on my 1.3 SLX I fill via the speedo hole and found that you can actually insert the oil dipstick down the hole to the bottom to judge the level. as jacob just mentioned, the dipstick max level is 54mm from the tip

i believe so, the engine code is stamped at front near where the engine meet the gear box either cg10 or cg13 cg13 is 1.3l. speedo is at top towards the rear

seems to be that then. i though it was to fill untill it leaked out.

thx for the info guys!

believe that methods only applicable to the front filling plug hole. for the speedo hole you have to measure the level from the bottom of the hole.

as with any fluid or gas, their volume expands as they get hotter.
therefore one of the reasons for an oil level in a sealed gearbox enclosure is to prevent it overflowing out the breather pipe upto peak temperature (ie during trackday).

Back