Slow coolant leak, out of ideas...

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Basically got a slow coolant leak. It drinks from max to min on the reserve tank in about 3 weeks maybe 4.

Tried the obvious, doesnt seem to be leaking from the thermostat or any hoses around it, also seems like the rad is fine including the lower hose (although the hose does feel very soft, anyone know where to get new ones from?)

Theres no water getting into the passenger side of the car and no smell of coolant when the heater is on (so i guess it isnt the heater matrix).

Anyone got any ideas of good places to check? Thanks!

have you tried pressure testing the cooling system? if you havent got access to one you could always leave car run for 15mins or so over a large piece of card or similar to see if it catches any coolant and trace it that way. have u checked the oil for contamination? could always be dreaded head gasket. if rad cap was not sealing properly,system would not reach correct operating pressure and coolant could boil easily, causing steam etc, however there is usually an adapter to check these in pressure tester kit. hope this helps, Tom.

could be a simple throttle body gasket leaking, or even a inlet manifold gasket leaking the coolant into the cylinders

does coolant come through the throttle body then?? never know that :S also nothing steams or boils, and if it was the headgasket wouldnt it bubble in the reserve tank? doesnt do this. and the oil seems clean! i think (hope) its something stupid its just knowing where and what to check. thanks for the ideas though will havea proper look when it stops ####ing it down! :)

.... ok had a look around and there seems to be nothing like that. did notice theres a lot of white crystaline rust like stuff along the top of the radiator? could that be it or is it normal to have a bit of that white stuff around anyway with no leak?

just changed the coolant to day aswell. almost cryed when i drained it out, it was brown with enough sand in it to fill woolacombe beach. anyways if anyone knows about the top of the rad that'd b great! thanks!

my coolant level always settles arround the minimum mark on the expansion tank when the engine is cold and if i top it up it goes back down within a week or two and its never overheated (yet) and coolant leaks usualy leave brown or orange deposits when they leak

the white stuff sounds like split water/antifreeze from filling up, check the bottom of the rad fron and back they can rust away there

if not it might just be normal, if the temps arent going high and the heaters are hot i wouldnt worry tbh but if its draining out the rad then you got a problem

urm i dont think its ever been filled up before.... im the first person to change the coolant. it came out like sand.

did you flush the system ?

if so what with ?

ive just removed my rad' tonight and the water was brown, fitting new rad' and coolant but would like to flush the engine whislt doing it.

the car wont be started for a week or two .... might leave it til then and just put hose in one side + out the other ?

i only flushed the rad, didnt do the engine becuase all the air con stuff was in the way of the thermostat plus it looked to much of a pain.

If this problem persists you may have a leaky waterpump, and its leaking slowly pass the seals.

I bet its the heater matrix as mine was doing the same for approx 1year then suddenly failed on my 2002 1.4 twister.
You find small losses drop through the aircon drain in the heater box so dont smell or make a mess in the carpet.

Back