Gear problems

Hi I was recently given a 2000 Micra Inspiration by my sister as she no longer needed it as she has a new car Problem is it will not select 5th gear, She says it has been like this for a while and never had it looked at as she only used it around town. Now me being me i decided to try to get it into 5th and after a few attempts andbit of a struggle it went in Problem is after parking it up for the night i cant get reverse or 5th all the other gears are fine and the gearbox according to my fella sounds quiet and the clutch seems fine He says its probably the gear linkage Has anyone else had this problem ??

Many Thanks

Kat

sounds like the gear linkage joint bushes near the gearbox are worn loose so even though the gear stick is moved fully right, the slack in the worn bushes doesn't rotate the internal gear selector rod far enough to line up hence difficult to slot into gear.

a loose bush also allows the stick to vibrate loosely in 5th gear and makes 1-2nd gear difficult to engage

a loose bush also allows the stick to vibrate loosely in 5th gear and makes 1-2nd gear difficult to engage

Ah! This will be why getting into 1st and 2nd is a bit troublesome on my car then. Thanks for the info. I'll just sneak back out of this thread, sorry Katia :)

Ah! This will be why getting into 1st and 2nd is a bit troublesome on my car then. Thanks for the info. I'll just sneak back out of this thread, sorry Katia :)

yea its a common problem where the steel bushes in the joint first dries up over the first few years cos it's exposed to all sorts of spray off the wheels.
then it corrodes which makes it feel stiff.
after few more years of forcing the stiff linkage around, the rust eventually nibbles away at the softer outer plastic bush which increases clearance and makes it loose.
the loose joint now makes it difficult to select 1st/2nd/5th/rev and rattle in 5th/rev.

remedy is to replace the inner & outer bushes or the gear selector linkage rod

Thanks guys Had the Gear selector rod replaced today for £77.00 and all is now fine ! Its like a diferent car, Changes up and down through all the gears with ease :) Once again thank you for the advice It was nice to be able to actualy tell the garage what i thought was wrong rather than having them telling me i need a new gearbox or somthing

That's the magic of MSC right there!

If you see a blue/purple (blurple) K11 about, don't forget to wave...

Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_205 using Tapatalk

Glad u got it sorted Katia ;)

Its gr8 when something works smoothly again and makes the driving experience so much better.

And welcome to the msc btw :)

4.5" ..... Yours may be bigger..... But mine sounds beefier :p

Hopefully see you around :) however I don't venture into town very often :p x

Back