gearbox problems?

CMF_PhilC

» CMF Member
hey guys, im kinda new here so bear with me please! i got hold of a '98 micra with only 30k odd on the clock, which is awesome, however, after 3 weeks i have a problem. Ive lost the ability to select first gear, which isnt catastrophic, but it is a pain in the ass.

i can get every other gear just fine, but if i try and force it into first, it wont go, and i then lose the ability to select 2nd aswell, until i put it in 5th, then go for 2nd again! ive had a look underneath and taken off that heat shield thingy to have a look at the linkage, i cant see any problems there...

it all started after trying to get out of a snowed up car park. i may have given it a bit too much "encouragement" in an attempt to get moving :(

any ideas guys?
cheers for reading!

smidge

» CMF Member
Hey phil, unfortunately gearbox problems like that are almost always an internal thing, it might not be a massive problem, an old car of mine had the same problem and it was just a tiny selector pin that had broken

have you changed the gearbox oil? if you do and a fair bit of metal comes out with it then that might give you a clue

its probably easier to buy a second hand or recon gearbox and just bolt it (or get it bolted) up and away you go

CMF_PhilC

» CMF Member
cheers dude, figured it was gonna be internal. im gonna take a wild guess and say that its gonna be expensive even if it is just a tiny selector pin? ill change the oil when i can get hold of some cash, if the worst comes to the worst though, any ideas if its fairly simple to change the gearbox, or am i gonna have to get a professional on it?

cheers again man.

Back