gear selection problem

C

Chris-de-Bear

Hi,

I was refered here by someone who used to be a member.

My sister has a micra 1.2 which has developed a fault with the gate which stops you going straight from 5th to reverse.

To begin with, she couldn't get reverse, only 5th.

After a few attempts, she managed to get reverse and now can't get 5th.

All the gears 1 to 4 work normally.

She's visiting me on weds so I can hopefully solve it for her.

Is it a common problem ? I'd guess it's a broken spring.

Is the gate mechanism for this in the gearstick end of the linkage or inside the gearbox ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I don't know much in detail about the Micra boxes, but from other posts ive seen it looks like you probably want to just replace it, because its dead :wasntme:

I doubt you'll be able to fix this without a big job taking apart the gear box because I think all the mechanism is in there.

I might be wrong though!! o_O

Or snapped

I had the hub inside the box replaced and it cost £150+vat and that's not including refitting fees. I had to have this done when i couldnt engage or disengage 3rd or 4th gears.

once micra boxes start messing about like jumping out of gear,getting stuck in gear or anything like that frow it away and fit another one,there not worth bothering with.

bobsp16 said:
once micra boxes start messing about like jumping out of gear,getting stuck in gear or anything like that frow it away and fit another one,there not worth bothering with.

Agreed, I got my new one for £20 from the scrappy, not too bad a job to do either.

Thanks for the help folks.

Just looked at it and all the gate mechanisms are inside the box so it looks like a gearbox out job. :( I was just hoping it was like some of my previous cars where that interlocking piece was in the stick mechanism itself.

Back