My CVT gear lever snapped off... help!

CMF_junkymotown

» CMF Member
So the auto lever on my 1994 SLX K11 broke off... and I mean like actually snapped off in my hand.

Took the housing off to look inside and the metal has snapped off where it connects the base of the lever to a little cylindrical black dealy.

Any idea whether this can be fixed, or whether it needs a whole new auto gearbox?

Picture shows where the lever used to be...

Attachments

• 77962.jpg
    77962.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 24

CMF_junkymotown

» CMF Member
It had a stiff lever ever since I got it, a couple of months ago... was really hard to shift in to drive or reverse when the engine was on.

Another picture, showing the base of the lever (upper centre right) and where it used to attach (lower centre right).

Can anyone help?! I don't want to see my baby sent off to the scrapyard!

Just to be clear, it's a 1994 1275cc SLX AUTO.

Attachments

• 77963.jpg
    77963.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 17

CMF_sr20micramike

» CMF Member
Get it welded! Also if it was me I would of investigated the stiff lever when it started getting stiff. But for now or to get it to a garage get some vice grips and clamp them on that should allow you to move it into gear

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
should be a simple clean and weld to 'fix' the lever itself.

But it might be a bit more work to fix the cause the gearbox was playing hard to get before it broke so chances are the stresses of you fighting the box broke the gear lever.

Your local mechanic might have more insight?

CMF_junkymotown

» CMF Member
Cheers.

One more question... Is the lever unit easy to replace? Have found someone selling one from a breaking car... is it as simple as unbolt one and bolt the other in its place?

Also, they said it had cables... what are these for?

(Sorry, I'm new to a lot of this... and skint, hence trying to fix it myself!)

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
junkymotown WROTE:

"Cheers.

One more question... Is the lever unit easy to replace? Have found someone selling one from a breaking car... is it as simple as unbolt one and bolt the other in its place?

Also, they said it had cables... what are these for?

(Sorry, I'm new to a lot of this... and skint, hence trying to fix it myself!)

grab the cables as well, as these are likely to be the reason ur shifter was stiff

CMF_junkymotown

» CMF Member
Thanks Rudy - any idea how to get the unit off and put the new one on? Under the housing there are two bolts at the front - that's fair enough - but it seems to be welded on at the back. Is there any way to get this off easily?

Back