Monster rattle fixed

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeehah.

I think Yom fixed this one also..

But it had only recently started happening in blue monster.

Symptoms: Super lous clapping vibrating resonating rattle coming from the rear centre stop light up on the rear window..

Solution: Undo 2 screws and remove the plastic cover.
Then find the long plastic lever in there which is designed to hold the bulb unit in place. Over time, its like the long plastic lever has lost some tension and it now slaps around in this spot where its meant to be tightly clipped in. Slaps around so freely that you could easily see how any vibrations would make it slap and shake.

Had some mega handy adhesive foam padding strip lying around that I got from clark rubber recently. Cut off a tiny slither about 5mm wide and 1cm long. Removed the long plastic lever, then stuck the adhesive strip in against the flat wall that the lever rests upon loosely. Then put the lever back in place. Now the lever firmly rests upon the foam padding and has ZERO movement. Can't even make it vibrate.

Tested OK: started the car back up. Drove up and down the driveway at low revs which used to make the thing shake terribly, now its all gone 100% NOTHING! Allright!

Attachments

• 13706.jpg
    13706.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 35

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
haha, another win. I just realised yesterday that my suspect gearstick rattle is actually not the gearstick but the piece of sheet metal i left out on replacing the clutch, then i removed the box and refitted when i realised i left it out. On the sheet metal, there was a bit of rubber stuff glued to it, mine had started peeling off abit so i peeled the whole thing off, as i didn't want it to foul on the flywheel/starter. Well now i have realised where the rubber stuff was, it sits flush between the sheet metal thing and the block and stops the metal thing from vibrating on it. Now i have an infernal noise being output, gawd it is very loud and happens on heavy load of high revs. Meaning i have to remove the Cv shafts + gearbox again and the new clutch and the flywheel, remove the plate thing and stick a new bit of rubber stuff on it, haha > all you can do is laugh,

otherwise mine is rattle free now that i have removed the urethane engine mounts and got normal rubber engine mounts fitted up,

any rattles left to clear up cisco? Do you have the tapping/ticking noise that comes from right beside the drivers head on the door, like the door seal area? might be able to offer some advice,

Alex

Attachments

• 13710.jpg
    13710.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 33

cisco

» CMF Member
Far out Alex, yes you can only laugh. Its all a good fun learning adventure. Crazy micras!

YES!!! Exactly mate, I have that exact rattle. Please pass on your advice. The driver's door seal I think must also be a bit out of place or something, because it makes a windy whirring noise when up around 100kmh in blue monster.

Need new door seal? What's the clicking one near head height. I think I get that worse on passenger side actually, but driver doing it aswell..

Attachments

• 13713.jpg
    13713.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 32

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
FIrstly remove door cards. Carefully remove the drivers window, via the two nuts at the bottom then manouver the window out. next undo the wing/review mirror plastic fitting which covers some of the door seal. Then remove the black strip that the outside of the window cleans itself on. then grab the window seal with your hand (no tools) on the corner and pull it out abit. then keep doing this and watch as the entire window seal comes out in one massive moulded piece, even from right way down into the doors. Then get some metho (i use metho as i read it dosn't damage rubber) and thoroughly clean the seal inside and out. Then get a new rag and apply some rubber protectant (just used amourall) but there a better protectants avail. Now refit the window seal on the sides and top first. then to get the seal to fit way down inside the door slides i got a caothanger and bent it up so i could push the seal back in. Refit the outer window cleaning black strip thing with all its little clips and then clean the outer edge of the window glass then very carefully bolt it back on.

youi'll also notice the drivers window is now very very easy to wind. I actually did this to fix my drivers window being hard to wind, and it also fixed the stone ticking noise i had too,

Alex

Attachments

• 13727.jpg
    13727.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 39

cisco

» CMF Member
Thanks a lot Alex. I'll try to do that this weekend.

Attachments

• 13729.jpg
    13729.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 41
Back