Gear change advice required

W

Wil

After several weeks searching around, I've finally found a 1998 1.0cc K11 that I'd liked but the gearchange seems a bit odd. Can someone tell me if the gear lever is supposed to spring back to centre when left in neutral or is supposed to flop around? Also when I try to move the lever from left-right (in neutral) it is very stiff, seems like some WD40 on the linkage required, but not sure. However when normal driving through the gears it is fine, so so you think its a major problem?

goldstar0011 said:
Yes, it's supposed to spring to centre
As for stiffness, I've got that too, hoping the linkage needs oiling.

Looks like the spring may have come off the linkage and some WD40 required, thanks!

on the linkage you will have 4 plastic bushes 2 on the leveler end and 2 on the gearbox end, take them out and put loads of lm grease inside them then put the linkage and bushes back on the car should stop it from being stiff

Cheers, will give it a go this weekend, any tips or advice takling this job, is there a Haynes manual available for this model? Only just bought the car so still learning my way through at the mo.

An update for you all - Too the linkage rod off this afternoon, just 1 bolt at each end and found that the bushes were badly contaminated with rust and gunk. Cleaned it all up and smeared the bushes with grease, re-assembled the lot and what a difference it made! Also the spring had snapped off, just reshaped it and clipped it back in. Well happy with it now :)

Just repaired my gear stick centring spring today. The old one had dissapeared so I modified a spring from an old set of allen keys. Just needed to stretch it out a little then chop bits off until it was the right size to give the desired amount of centring pull. Thought that may be of use to someone!

I have no problem with the centering, However the first second and third gears seem worn, and changing from second to third is a bit clunky. And sometimes sticks.

Its been getting worse, when i first got it i thought that only 1-3 had been used. Lol, Now though they all seem pretty smooth apart from second to third.

Back