Fuse Box

CMF_Seejai

» CMF Member
Hi,

My Micra (1997 UK Registered P-Reg) has just suffered some mega-electrical short,
and blown both main headlamp fuses in a most spectacular fashion. The fuses
have melted, and destroyed the fuse sockets, so looks like I'm going to have
to replace the fusebox (the one that is under the bonnet, not the one next
to the steering wheel). Just wondered if anyone has ever done this, how difficult a job it is, and if there are any pitfalls I should look out for?

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but I can't find where to search this website :-(

Cheers,

Chris.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
is it not possible to get a fuse and solder the wires or terminals on to the fuse box connections of the fuses in question.

or when you say melted, do you mean completley destroyed?

CMF_Seejai

» CMF Member
It could be possible to do what you suggest, but the fuse box is pretty messed up. One of the fuses had totally melted into the socket, and when I tried to remove it (had to use a pair of pliars) it pulled the metal connector out of the fuse box, so there is not much to solder a fuse onto. :-(
I think it would probably be best to replace the fusebox if it is not a massively complicated job...

Chris.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
if the box is completley goosed then i would recommend going to a local nissan repair shop (authorised dealer) and ask them whats the best thing to do, get some prices! then work out yourself from what they tell you and i bet you could have a go at it yourself.

CMF_Madrabbit

» CMF Member
It's quite a common problem, corrosion and shorting out. Unfortunately you can't get the fuse terminals without buying an engine loom. The only parts you can get (at least in the U.K) are the plastic parts (cover, base and terminal holder).
What the Nissan techies do at my local branch is take out the offending terminals cut off the original fuse connectors and use an in-line fuse holder.
It doesn't look too original but it is a cheaper way to get round the problem.
Check your headlamp connectors at the bulb too, corrosion and shorting out here a can cause this problem.

Back