fred's $1500 turbo power up

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
er, first up, I want to say this is very rough and stage 1 of my set up, you'll notice some plumbing that is er, plumbing that will be replaced with stainless. Please note I am currently using standard injectors and constantly having an eye on the A/F meter. Yes, I have a SR20DE fuel rail to go on, once I have connected the electronics to handle it. The turbo to intake cross over is currently steel and will be replaced after the new injectors with a PWR water barrel intercooler, modded to accept the BOV and water injection. so, here are the pix and don't be too hard on me since it is stage one... all work done by me except for the dump pipe and BOV/cross over piping..... Special thanks to David from INGEAR INDUSTRIES for use of his work shop and knowledge.......

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
power is impressive considering I can only use half throttle (At the moment),.... I have a hill which in N/A was 4th gear 60kmh flat out... with this 4th gear, flat out (eye on gauge) acclerrates to 95 kmh... love the torque

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
can't wait to get the larger injectors on and get that boost to 7psi, snoopy really impressed me with his complete setup. It took me about a year to scrounge around ebay and wreakers for the parts and ciscos old ported head came in handy as a jig to fit everything on, going from workshop to workshop.... took about 3 weeks and yes this is my daily driver and didn't come off the round.... if you want a more detailed report i'd be happy to tap something out and a comparison to other turbo guys......

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
er.... mistake....yes this is my daily driver and it didn't come off the road...... once all the parts were purchased it was bolted together on the day before the micra meet (a long day)

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
oh, technically i can't say its a $1500 turbo power up since you need to add larger injectors and an interceptor to make it work right but hay up to this point..... what's on the car is $1500 and it goes, with some provisos.......

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Having seen this car in person, I can tell you this is a very clever piece of home engineering. Very well done. Cant wait until you get it to 7psi, then there will be two micras scarying the locals in this area :p

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yes I must say that this micra would blast into your rear view mirror quicker than its looks would have you imagine!

One suggestion fred, the water lines to the turbo ideally should be lower. Above the engine like that can be a good way to get some airlocks happening from what i understand.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Yom WROTE:

"Yes I must say that this micra would blast into your rear view mirror quicker than its looks would have you imagine!<BR><BR>One suggestion fred, the water lines to the turbo ideally should be lower. Above the engine like that can be a good way to get some airlocks happening from what i understand.

Aslong as the water lines are below the top tank they are fine. If they are above, then a bleeder will need to be installed.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Mate top job. You have achieved a lot on a shoestring budget. Well done and as you said it was all done without taking it off the road.
At 7psi you will be around 90kw. You may be happy with this but maybe the dark side will consume you totally and the next step will be the internals so you can wick it up further.
3 red Micras now in the forced club. Must be something about red.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Slice them off and re-route them. Dont be afraid of cable ties. They will eventually sit in the place you want them to be in.

Pipe afterall is cheaper than rebuilding a turbo.

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
Thanks hack... I do have a spare motor and ported head just in case there is evil within me.... I fear that I will enjoy.

snoopy, I think the water lines are a little high, I will redo anywho

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
Darn it!!!! The turbo has siezed, spend an hour on the highway changing back to the NA setup, to get home... Pulled the turbo housings apart and thankfully, go the turbine to spin again with no apparent damage (phew)

So, I'll be NA for a while (to get over christmas) and the concentrate on fuel rails, injectors, electronics, water injection and the like, so went the turbo does go back on, it will be fully 7psi

oh I miss turbo power (already)

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
lol..lucky you got it going again.

ive had a cooler pipe come off before..but the joy of an aftermarket ecu running off a map sensor..even if intake pipe isnt connected to the turbo....it still purrs along nicely

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
i suspect it was a bit of heat soak. I had just come off the highway and ran in to do an errand at a shopping centre and didn't idle down. so, I will be building a turbo timer for it before it goes back on.......

Back