basic turbo set up

CMF_tubbyjoe

» CMF Member
Hi im new to the site and at the moment im planning a turbo conversion on my 1300cc micra (previous car was a MR2 turbo so im missing the power slightly)

im just thinking of adding a small quick spooling turbo. running around 5-7psi with a MR2 intercooler and injectors from a 1600cc car..

my question is could i use the original manifold by cutting the existing flange off and welding in a new flange to match that of the turbo or will i have to fabricate a whole new manifold..

Any assistance would be great as this is gona be a full DIY job...

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
You could do that; But as you're after a quick spooling setup you're not going to be very impressed at all... And the dump pipe is going to be VERY hard to mate up to the flange on the turbo too.

We turbo boys have had pretty good success using the T25 from S13's etc.. With mine spooling fairly early and hitting full boost by 3000-3500rpm

You'll also be better off getting an aftermarket computer too

This isn't going to be as cheap as you thought, but you could definately get away with it for under AUS$3000 if you know what you're doing and do some of the work yourself

Sean

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Mate you can get hold Primera 1600 cc injectors which are a direct fit into the Micra.
Add a rising rate fuel regulator and even with the stock ECU this will handle your requirements up to say 7 psi on stock standard internals.
Yes a T25 turbo and spend money on a decent exhaust manifold.
Assume you do not have A/C so a small intercooler up front would be okay.
On White Knight I run the intercooler front mounted from the Toyota MR2 4AGZE supercharged motor and Family Hack which is what you are looking at runs a RX7 top mounted one.
7 psi will get you to around 87/90kw which gives you a very nippy shopping trolly.
Good luck.

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
hi whiteknight,

are saying that a rising rate fuel reg + cust manifold + intercooler on a stock micra is enough to for a turbo setup...im not a mechanic at all and i havent done any turbo conversion but base on what i heard from other people, if you do it this way, you'll get an engine warning sign....pl correct me if im wrong...

cisco

» CMF Member
If you selected a small enough turbo (say approx T2 size) and still used the factory manifold but cut and welded to a flange, then you surely could have a quick spooling setup.

I reckon the factory manifold would be quite good for a turbo. Its pretty smooth and efficient, not too fat, keeps the exhaust velocity high, and reasonably smooth and well flowing with nice turns etc. Just need to make sure it doesn't dictate that the turbo be positioned too low which might make gravity feed from the oil drain not strong enough or horizontal etc. In which case you could hook up a small sum at the bottom of the turbo with another pump to pump it back into the engine sump, but you don't really want to get into all that mess.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Yes I am. If you want around 7psi put in the 1600cc Primera injectors. If you leave standard Micra ones you will only get about 4psi and then get fuel starvation which will lead to pre detonation problems which in turn means goodbye engine.
If you stay around 4 psi no real need for an intercooler either. Family Hack ran this way for about 6 months before I added an intercooler , another injector as we can not get 1600 cc Primera injectors in Australia. THis took me from 4psi boost to 7psi.
4psi boost is worth it but you find after a while you want MORE.

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
hi, after reading this post i got interested lol.

just wondering therefore, if the "1600cc Primera injectors" can be put into a "10L" micra without the "turbo setup"???

thanks

lee

cisco

» CMF Member
A T3 is going to be too large on your micra. It will have a very high boost threshold dude. I.e. might not make any boost until 4500rpm. Very dull and not fun for the street!

But give it a go and tell us how it goes. I'm very interested! But you really should get a smaller turbo.

But yeah sure, you can bolt anything up to anything. You would be able to adapt the T3 to fit the standard manifold - just need a T3 flange and a handy welder.

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
whiteknight,

so technically i can get away by just using the stock ecu, stock manifold (with welded flange) intercooler, a small turbo (incl oil lines) and because its a NA car which when it sees boost will trigger the engine light warning. to prevent i can just install a boost controller to prevent that engine light warning......if all this is correct i might go ahead turboing my car. afterall im only interested on low boost, coz i dont really do street racing, all i want to achieved is not to be left behind on traffic lights and finally cant really afford to buy those aftermarket ecu

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Yes.I only have direct experience with the T25 turbo, so if you put another one on some issues will change. But whatever turbo you go for get one suitable for a small motor and if you only want 3/4 psi leave everything stock.Just make sure your air/fuel ratio is okay at max boost when car is at normal operating temp.
I never ran an intercooler at this level but I live in Tassie where outside air temp is a lot cooler than where you are.I never had a problem with set up but maybe on mainland in middle of summer you would loose at lot of efficiency due to hotter air entering inlet manifold.
I would run a small intercooler.

Back