Fitted Led lights in dash now speedo does not work and fuel gauage spins

Hi,
I fitted some LEDs to my dash board as my old ones went dead, I took the dash apart, took the guages and needles off as this is the first time I have done this and I am training to be a mechanic. I fitted the new LEDS tested works brilliant, then but the Clocks i think there called back on with the needles to their original place. Now when i tested them, the fuel does nothing but spin round and round and the speedo does not move how ever when i take the clock/black bit with numbers off from the speedo and put the needle back on drive the needle moves ???? but the fuel guage still spins round and round. Not sure whats up tried loads, wd40, putting the needle on and off tightning the screws and making sure their in correct. Im not out of ideas.
Thanks
Andy

Hello, I need to replace my LED lights also and was wonderign apart from your problem how easy is it? :grinning:
Im not a mechanic like you but I have no problem in getting my hands dirty.

Why did you take the gauges and needles apart, the bulbs just remove from the back of the clocks, i'd say you've ####ed the needles

Hello, I need to replace my LED lights also and was wonderign apart from your problem how easy is it? :grinning:
Im not a mechanic like you but I have no problem in getting my hands dirty.
Yea the others will proberly disagree now but I with a help of another mate mechanic,
Remove the screw 4 screws on the steering column taking the two pieces apart
Remove the screw located to the right near to the steering on my k11 located under my imboaliser light
Remove the screw on the left hand side
Remove the grey unit which should now un cover the glass black part and White circuit with clocks attached
Optional depending on what you want to do
Remove the glass by the clips top and bottom
Need to remove the top and two bottom screws attached to the black unit
Apparently if you get your hand behind and feel for the bulb units
Pull them out one by one to make it easier replace a bulb then put back in 6 or 8 in total all around the unit test before reassembling
If they don't try rotating 180 or pushing in harder reassemble in reverse order.

DEFFINATLEY DO NOT DO THAT!!!!
Jesus man no wonder its not working
Take the gauge cluster out completely, unplug it from the car lay it on your lap and GENTLY!!! Trist the 4-5 lighting bulbs out. The other bulbs are for warning and indication lights.
I believe the ones you want to change are marked with arrows or a little picture of a light on the circuit board itself.
Whatever you do, do not for anything and don't try to do it blind!

Do not do this
yea the others will proberly disagree now but i with a help of another mate mechanic,
remove the screw 4 screws on the steering column taking the two pieces apart
remove the screw located to the right near to the steering on my k11 located under my imboaliser light
remove the screw on the left hand side
remove the grey unit which should now un cover the glass black part and white circuit with clocks attached
optional depending on what you want to do
remove the glass by the clips top and bottom
need to remove the top and two bottom screws attached to the black unit
apparently if you get your hand behind and feel for the bulb units
pull them out one by one to make it easier replace a bulb then put back in 6 or 8 in total all around the unit test before reassembling
if they don't try rotating 180 or pushing in harder reassemble in reverse order.

Remove the clock unit as one, eg remove binnacle two screws iirc, then you will see three screws holding the clock unit in place remove these, depending on year and model pull clock unit forwards and disconnect speedo cable and electrics plug, if it's a later model theres no speedo cable just electrics, then place clock unit on your lap, twist bulb holders on rear of clock unit anti clockwise to remove pull out bulb and replace with led, there are markings on rear of clocks to identify which bulbs are which, replace clocks and test, if some leds dont work take back out and replace led the other way round ie turn 180 degrees, should take 20 mins tops.

Back