Phase1 facelift speedo cluster and front fogs upgrade irritation

Here's an interesting tale of a 1998 1.0GX upgrading to speedo cluster with a rev counter and front fogs.

Parts fitted :
1. Relay into blue socket above internal fuse/relay unit [scraped knuckles and some expletives] - tested - it works!
2. Indicator stalk from 1998 Ford Maverick [Terrano2] - fitted - tested - front fogs relay clicks on/off - it works!
3. Found both black fog light connectors taped up behind headlights - tested - 12V across pins - it works!
4. Fitted V2 light into front fog bulb holder of new speedo cluster [old non rev counter cluster doesn't have a front fog light position] and then fitted speedo cluster into car. Started car - rev counter works! Tested all other lights and gauges - all OK UNTIL I turn on the front fogs - light doesn't illuminate in new cluster - curious...
Checked bulb - OK. Took black backing off new cluster and traced front fog light conductor - found it on pin3 of the black multi-pin connector - checked cable - NOTHING IN PIN 3 !
Cobbled together a cable from the brown wire on the new indicator stalk to pin3 - now it lights up - what a faff - also why did Nissan wire up nearly all functions that were not used but not the front fog indicator?

At the moment, the wire powering the front fog indicator is poked into the black connector rather precariously - does anyone know where I can get a pin with or without a wire attached to make the connection a little more professional ?

Another thought - have a look at all of the 'unused' telltales in your cluster - it is possible that there are more than one version of cluster without rev counter that has a front fog telltale.
My last Micra (1997) had the mechanical speedo [which I upgraded to rev counter] and I know there were many versions of this cluster with different light options.

Back