Few Questions, help appreciated!

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Hey guys

I havnt been on here for a while now, been really busy busy.

Anyway i think my driver side inner tie rod is naffed. enough play to send viabrations up on bumps.

Question is, how do i change this? i had a close look inside of the boot but nothing stand out how to get it off, and new one one. Is it easier/cheaper/better just to get another steering rack? if so, is the power steering rack interchangble from prefacelift and facelifts.

secondly, is the suspension from a facelift a direct fit on a prefacelift, ie the front shocks or is there anyone selling standard suspension for prefacelift.

Cheers
SuluR

undo the nut holding the balljoint to the front hub (wirebrush n oil the exposed rusted threads first),
loosen the locknut thats locking the tie rod end to the steering arm,
seperate the balljoint from the hub using this (not the wedge style tool cos they wreck the balljoint rubber covers)

sykes-pickavant-ball-joint-separator--lever.jpg

note how many turns it takes to unscrew the tie rod from the rack,
install the new rod end with the same number of turns as the old one,
tighten the tie rod locknut and the nut holding it to the hub

Thanks for the help Paul,

From my understanding i think your refering to the outer tie rod end. It is my inner tie rod which has the play. Any ideas?

Thanks agaun

yeh he's given me the directions, thought you bought one once before

I was about to, but i found the car with it instead (Y) sorry i couldnt help mate

Frank, they did look pretty damn sealed when i had a look under its boot. How did you manage to get it off? There are a few for sale on ebay but im reluctent to buy if i cant get it off, but not wanna try unless i mess up

Frank, they did look pretty damn sealed when i had a look under its boot. How did you manage to get it off? There are a few for sale on ebay but im reluctent to buy if i cant get it off, but not wanna try unless i mess up

this one has a tab washer mate :)

Attachments

• SDC12651.JPG
    SDC12651.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 263
Thanks for the help Daniel, (Y)

Frank, Mine doesnt have the grooves (or atleast i didnt see them) to get a spanner of some sort around it. Any chance of me getting it swapped with generic tools you think, without taking it off the car?

Or better off buying another rack... if so... prefacelift and facelift the same?

Is the power steering rack from a 1 litre facelift the same as a 1.3 prefacelift? probably a silly question :p

Yeah, pre-facelift and facelift rack should be the same as well. I think all major components between models are the same, apart from some of the bodywork, interior, and dizzy/coilpack (Y)

Thanks Daniel,

I read a post somewhere once that the power steering rack of preface was a "fast" one and the facelift is a "slow" one. I did a search i couldnt find it, is this true?

So would it be better for me to change the tie rod or the whole rack.....:suspect: advice!

Yeah, pre-facelift and facelift rack should be the same as well. I think all major components between models are the same, apart from some of the bodywork, interior, and dizzy/coilpack (Y)

paul (pollyp) said the splines were different iirc :eek:

97 slx too 97 sr, power rack to normal rack i have done. got lucky as the rack to column spline match'd up
hinges on that i think

Ah so it looks like either a prefacelift rack or the tie rod... Not easy to come buy prefacelift PAS

Back