faulty water pump?

C

coma_america

this is a little bit of a plea for help, i have a 1992 1.2 LX, i think the wter pump has blown on it and the engine is therefore overheating, there seems to be water coming out of the water pump when i go around left hand bends and evaporating on the hot engine and all the water was drained from the radiator so obviously there is a leak somwhere in the system, is this fixable by my replacing the water pump and if so is it possible to do this?

is this a usual problem with said model?

any help would be greatly appreiciated because i am worried it may now be a lump of scap metal.

aidan

sounds like the seal has gone on the pump, it's common on all water cooled cars, the pump is a consumable item.

you can change the water pump quite easily and they are readilly available in motor factors and a lot of breakers yards

Yep mine started leaking and i was told it was an early sign of failure, so had it replaced! Common fault :)

While you're at it, why don't you change the thermostat too?
Although there is water coming from your waterpump which kinda gives it away, it's never a bad idea to change the thermostat too.
They are cheap, easy to change and good for temperature control :)
And indeed change the timebelt too, since you have to take that off too anyway.
Haynes should have a good explaination how to change timebelt and waterpump etc. The changing etc isnt too hard, but the limited space you have there is :D

I was looking at this for mine earlier today (what are the chances of that eh lmao)

the timing belt should take 1.5 hours according to autodata, for a timing belt kit including tensioner (goodyear) i was quoted £35 and £20 for a new waterpump (both +vat)

am a mechanic and former engine builder so will be doing mine myself

as timing belts go its very very easy on these micra's.

Its a personal thing but i NEVER!!! re tension a timing belt, if it comes off its scrap.

thanks guys, yea i changed the timing belt and water pump and it all seems to be working fine now, i might change the thermostat in another few days just incase it got fried.

thanks again

aidan

Back