Water pump fitting, help!

F

flipkickbs

Right, my 998 was running fine until the other day when it started chucking water out and overheating. Came to the conclusion it was the water pump as it was accompanied by a very nasty noise from that general area. I've started dismantling what i need to to get to the pump and change it. I've hit a bit of a problem with taking the offside engine mount off though, i've got the mount itself off, but there is a bracket thats attached to, which is attatched to the engine itself. I cant see how to remove this so i can get the timing belt cover off? There are a couple of bolts on it that i can feel, but they seem impossible to get to. Baring in mind im not that experienced with car mechanics and am mostly going by the haynes manual. If anybody has completed this task before of knows how to do it, a little runthrough of how to domplete the task would be great :)

Car is a 1990 998cc gl

Thanks, Ian

hi mate,

i am in the process of changing the belt in the next couple of days so i can understand what your going through. There are 3 bolts on that bracket so you will need (correct if i am wrong) a 12mm spanner. Use the rounded edge and hold with one hand and feel where it goes with the other. it will fit and you should be able to turn it. The other way is get a 12mm socket put it on the nut first (should be a nice fit) and try to insert the wrench into the squared hole. I know its a right pain but its a first for me also. Once you losen it you should be able to unscrew it by hand. when putting it on just screw by hand and tighten it with a rounded side of a spanner, well its what i would prefer to use. make sure you put a few bricks underneath the engine or a jack, if unsupported it may put strain on the other mounts.

hope it helps.

mani

you will need a ring spanner with a cranked head to get at the bolts....i`ve had to to the job on a couple of cars and i have cut a notch into the bracket once itr was off to give better access to the bolts for replacing it after the job.....while you have the pump off it may be worth doing the cambelt...save having to pss round with the bracket again..

Got the bracket off finally! Now i need to get the crank pulley wheel off to be able to take the lower timing belt cover off. Problem is, how do i take the wheel off without it turning every time i go to undo it? Any help muchos appreciated.

Got the bracket off finally! Now i need to get the crank pulley wheel off to be able to take the lower timing belt cover off. Problem is, how do i take the wheel off without it turning every time i go to undo it? Any help muchos appreciated.

I undid mine by putting a breaker bar on the socket and hitting the end with a big hammer, the sudden shock loosens the nut.

Another rattly noise from the same area, and another puddle of water! i think i've broken another one! :( Theres no way i want to go through that job again especially if it could be a reccuring problem. Are there any things that could be causing this, as the new pump is just weeks old, surely it couldnt have broken naturally after that amont of time?! Im seriously considering swapping the engine to something more solid (and powerful :D ) Could anybody give me any pointers as to what might be causing this? Also a short list of easy to fit yet pokey engines that can be put in my k10. thanks all.

Back