water leak - pump?

My wife's K10 is losing water again... the hoses are OK.. but when up to pressure I can see a trickle from what looks like the area of the water pump near the fan belt pulley.

I fitted a new pump just over a year ago so rather than the pump seal could this be simply due to the gasket failing?

I need some way of pumping up the system without running the engine... I am wondering if I can throw together a special fitting the could go in the heater connection or something and then be pressurised with a bike pump to show me the leak?

Thanks

Although the part is new, it doesnt mean it's not the problem. You may need to redo the gasket or replace the pump itself!

Actually I am wondering now if I didn't overtighten one of the pump retaining bolts all that time ago. They are only threaded allow holes I guess. I have some faint memory... or is just the vague recollection of an anxiety that I would strip one?? aghhhh I will find out tonight.

The gasket was gone at one point. I stuck the new pump on anyway and used that blue sealant stuff rather than the provided cardboard.
As usual I felt uncomfortable doing up the pump retaining bolts. They don't seem to get to a point where they are "tight as can be" In the sense that with a 12 inch long socket wrench you get the definite feeling that you could overtighten and snap something. I stopped at a point I thought was tight but before stripping them or something.
The only problem with the job was that I managed to strip the alternator slide nut!! I flogged up the two bigger retaining nuts to hold it in place but will need to solve this soon.
Also the wife's starter has become intolerable... the grind!! I looked at the motor teeth and they are pretty burred. If I swap the motor will it solve the problem? I don't fancy having to spring for a new starter ring.

thanks

Swapped motor and it is perfect! The old motor had lost about 5mm of teeth.. just rounded off!

Actually I don't tend to get that opinionated myself. It isn't really a high pressure joint - probably a few psi in normal operation. Not a lot compared to say the cylinders.
Also I was just taking guidance from another pump related article from micra.org

<---

Have you tried mating it up to the engine? Most of the times smaller engines are the same block with either a larger/longer/smaller bore and stroke so all ancillaries fit. At a guess I'd say yes it's going to fit unless theres a major engine change at your year. The gasket I wouldn't reuse. Get a tube of Hylomar blue.

Charlotte

-->

I think it will work out. But yeah I will be sure to return to the space-age cardboard if the Hylomar Blue gives trouble. In engineering terms it just wouldn't be a critical failure. More of a nurse it home job.

Thanks

It is relevant to note that Hylomar Blue has been used for jointing boiler connections on steam plant - without gasket - and can take 65 psi under these conditions. Thats about 4.3 bar in old money. If I was getting that in my coolant system i would be in big trouble already.

Back