Fault code 171. what shall I check?

yamaimo

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,

I just got fault code, 171 Powertrain fuel trim bank 1 mixture too lean.
I am driving a 2001 1.4 activ.
I used my tablet with Torque pro to get this code.

What part should I start looking into?

Thanks

:) i should add that a search on "maf" will get 0 results on here, searching "bosch" or googling "micra.org maf" will probably suffice :)

Hi Frank, can you tell me where can I get security key for MAF sensor, please? I realised the shape of those Trex screw head is not what I can turn with my tools.

Ah, i was inpatient to read the thread last night. Yeah, i found the link to the ebay seller for 5 pointy bits that i couldn't find before. Thanks for your patient, Frank :).

hello,

I had this problem it has little (I have a micra 1.4 comfort 2000) there

Made a checklist of the following:

- Mass Air Flow Sensor (I changed it)

- Lambda (both are new)

- Before I put the "E10-95" and since I put the "98" and more problems ... (well for now)

Hello, SuperMarchFr.
Thanx for the check list. E10-95 is it part number for o2 sensor? I replaced both with ngk :)

In fact the E10-95 is the fuel ... (in France we call the "95 unleaded with 10% ethanol" I do not know if you have the same type of fuel you ... since I put either unleaded 98 for us, it is the fuel that you put in the vehicles that are released before 2000) and since I do that I do not have that famous code (well for now )

When I replaced my o2 sensors I put the NGK

Oh, I see. I read Haynes Manual saying Micra ECU cannot detect difference between 95 and 98 octane. I am interested in finding out if this is true. These days petrol price is rocket high and I am more into economical driving. I wonder if anyone has remapped the unit for better fuel economy (i.e. better ignition and injection timing according to the fuel)
I like NGK. Well, just my personal preference though..

So yes, this is the case, the ECU in the current state can not detect the difference between the 95 and the 98 ... By cons you get an error code such as "low-wealth" with 95-bioethanol

I tried to reconfigure the ECU, so actually reprogram the version 1.4 it apparently must "nistune type 5" which is still a dévelloppement it seems ... So reprogramming our models is possible (even highly recommended as we gain in torque / power / consumption) but difficult to do because of its rarity against the ... By CG13DE CG10DE and can be reprogrammed.

PS: today by putting the 98 octane I get to drop a 4 liter per 100 km
Yes, the NGK works well and is a good life;)

So yes, this is the case, the ECU in the current state can not detect the difference between the 95 and the 98 ... By cons you get an error code such as "low-wealth" with 95-bioethanol

I tried to reconfigure the ECU, so actually reprogram the version 1.4 it apparently must "nistune type 5" which is still a dévelloppement it seems ... So reprogramming our models is possible (even highly recommended as we gain in torque / power / consumption) but difficult to do because of its rarity against the ... By CG13DE CG10DE and can be reprogrammed.

PS: today by putting the 98 octane I get to drop a 4 liter per 100 km
Yes, the NGK works well and is a good life;)

the 2000 on (coilpack) models have the bosch motronic ecu, which still does,nt have a knock sensor to adjust the timing for different fuels :)
and the 2 common problems on your model seem to be maf and 2nd O2 sensor, you have now replaced your 2nd one eh
and all of the EU has had 5 to 10% ethanol for years i apparently

Ah, hung on. I am not so knowledgeable enough to keep up with your guys. Please correct me if I am wrong, but you guys are saying post 2000 model cannot mod ECU for fuel efficiency?

i dont think there is a nistune daughterboard for the motronic ecu, but they may be chip-able tho :)
I checked the Nistune site. I am looking forward to hearing new development. Talking about my engine warning light, I had near overheat due to non working cooling fun last week. It was dry connecter. The same day I cleaned MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner. Engine starts up very well and somehow the warning light is off now! I checked error code on my tablet and still see 0171 there :(. Do you think I should still change the sensor?

The fault code is cleared. Thanks everyone.

Back