engine swap

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Hey guy just wondering if there is another engine i can put int he micra with little fuss as in bolt in something like the ga15-16 something like that i know the sr20 is hard so i not going to bother with that. Any suggestions.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
No there is nothing wrong witht he car other then leaking valve stem seals. But i just wanted to put the 1.5 in for drivability. I was going to put a set of cams in TB and the injectors but people have told me that it will be a pig to drive

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
sikK11

pig to drive my arse !
an extactor manifold, a lighter flywheel and a squashed down pressure relief valve would make it a lot more drivable than shoehorning a cast iron ga in

Attachments

• 33582.jpg
    33582.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 40
sikK11 WROTE:

"No there is nothing wrong witht he car other then leaking valve stem seals. But i just wanted to put the 1.5 in for drivability. I was going to put a set of cams in TB and the injectors but people have told me that it will be a pig to drive

bull****. cg's are a much more race bred engine then the ga's... i'd probably go with something a little more accurate and put on an adjustable fuel reg. even with just the exhaust done they need more fuel

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
you serious they need more fuel after the exhaust is done. I have not put more fuel in mine.... Maybe i should. How much power should you expect with the zorst injectors and TB air intake and timing tuned.

yeh, i'm lucky enough to have my own wideband a/f ratio meter.. after just the exhaust on full noise its reading around 13.1-13.5 from about 4000rpm onwards... it won't blow up instantly, especially n/a, but won't be doing it any good, plus there's extra power to be gained with a bit more fuel... i wouldn't expect a massive gain in power.. but then again, its a light car to begin with, so any extra hp will make a big difference... unsure of exact power figures thou... if your doing a ga15 throttle body, i'd atleast get an safc, or an emanage if you can afford it, most cars' i've fitted the ga15 tb to, have slight surging through out the rev range, and need the fuel tuning to sort it out... that's we're the emanage comes in.. you can add extra timing/ **** around with air flow meter's etc and if your gonna do that, u might as well walk straight past the ga15 and go straight for the sr/ca throttle body option (both are same bolt pattern.. ca is a few mm smaller in the butterfly size) you will however need an adaptor plate to bolt these onto the std plenum

be using a custom plenum that i'm working on atm, with sr20 throttle and probably a sr afm, but if budgets allow, i'll get a z32 afm... i don't like using 2nd hand afms but this is supposed to be a budget car!.. just ga15 injectors, with sard fuel reg and r33 gts-t fuel pump. + emanage

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"be using a custom plenum that i'm working on atm, with sr20 throttle and probably a sr afm, but if budgets allow, i'll get a z32 afm... i don't like using 2nd hand afms but this is supposed to be a budget car!.. just ga15 injectors, with sard fuel reg and r33 gts-t fuel pump. + emanage

sounds good!

sportsclassic WROTE:

"turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:<BR><BR>"be using a custom plenum that i'm working on atm, with sr20 throttle and probably a sr afm, but if budgets allow, i'll get a z32 afm... i don't like using 2nd hand afms but this is supposed to be a budget car!.. just ga15 injectors, with sard fuel reg and r33 gts-t fuel pump. + emanage"</DIV><BR><BR>sounds good!

yeh... i tried hooking up the sr afm to it the other day... runs on std computer, but above about 3500rpm, goes super lean.. 18+ ... so need computer!

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member

i tried hooking up the sr afm to it the other day... runs on std computer, but above about 3500rpm, goes super lean.. 18+ ... so need computer!

thanks i got a sr afm was going to try it with the std computer, i thought it would run lean, i will leave it until i get a aftermarket computer.

smidge

» CMF Member
is that one of the rising rate type regulators? what ratio?

don't 100% understand the way they work so trying to piece it together

figure it would be good to know when turbo-ing :D

dunno what ratio, never really cared to find out, it just rises with boost/vaccum, the reg is adjustable, upto whatever you can screw it to, squashing the std reg may work, but its a bit dodgy i reckon, i'd like to use something more accurate.

smidge

» CMF Member
if you've got big enough injectors (say 360s) and a decent fuel pump, surely it wouldn't be necessary to have the pressure rise on boost, if they were at 80% of their maximum on 8psi there would still be enough resolution to tune them down low i gather

i dunno what 360s injectors are,... but having a rising rate reg will also help you in tuning.. you won't have to add as much fuel into it (pressure will rise with boost obviously, and squeeze more fuel through the injectors).. each to there own i guess.. as you know, i don't do things half-ass'd.. i just do what's worked for me in all my other cars, and stick with it :) but.. if your gonna use bigger injectors, ga's are a waste of time on turbo applications (i've found anyway)... so you'll have to use a different fuel rail.. and obviously have to use a different fuel reg also.

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
ga15 injectors are only good on a turbo during the setup phase (->3psi) just to check things are ok and working.... or for a N/A setup.... which means I'll be selling mine once my SR20 rail is ready. just to get back on thread....

if the gemini boys are putting sr20det and Ca18dets in successfully , surely there's a reeally nice engine with modern bits that you could shoe horn in? .... oh, look the cg13 looks good...

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Hey Fred,nice work! If i was to drop another motor in and keeping with Nissan i'd probably go for an SR16 more than double the power and still no turbo, for abit of a track weapon and going with another make (honda) they have pleny of different motor to look at. Not sure if they all fit though. It pretty much always comes down to your budget.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
If you want to stick with Nissan engines, there are two modern larger capacity aluminium designs to choose from:
HR15DE / HR16DE
MR18DE / MR20DE
They are compact motors & light weight (especially compared with GA / SR). As per the modern trend, max power is at lower rpm's than nissans of old.

In the new Qashqai and C-Platform Sentra the MR20DE produces 140 hp (104 kW) @ 5100 rpm and 193 N·m (142 ft·lbf) @ 4800 rpm.

6spd manual transmission from the Tiida.

smidge

» CMF Member

"i dunno what 360s injectors are,... but having a rising rate reg will also help you in tuning.. you won't have to add as much fuel into it (pressure will rise with boost obviously, and squeeze more fuel through the injectors).. each to there own i guess.. as you know, i don't do things half-ass'd.. i just do what's worked for me in all my other cars, and stick with it :) but.. if your gonna use bigger injectors, ga's are a waste of time on turbo applications (i've found anyway)... so you'll have to use a different fuel rail.. and obviously have to use a different fuel reg also.

360cc as in size, got a bunch of subaru side feeds lying around but i reckon they might be a bit of a pain to put in, that said, probably a good size for a mild turbo 1.3 (bout the same as SR or a little less if i recall correctly)

if i've gotta get a new reg anyway then might as well get a rising rate

i'm not into blowing motors so the tune will be good and done with a new comp, just need to get it straight in my brain first

smidge WROTE:

"if you've got big enough injectors (say 360s) and a decent fuel pump, surely it wouldn't be necessary to have the pressure rise on boost, if they were at 80% of their maximum on 8psi there would still be enough resolution to tune them down low i gather<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

yeh, thought you meant cc's, not "s" ... you'll find that most aftermarket fuel reg's for efi applications are rising rate anyway, sard is probably the best one, or a nismo, which will bolt onto almost any nissan fuel rail you can point your finger at.

Back