Accelerator / engine / exhaust issues ?

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Hey guys,

Got a bit of a problem with the green micra.

In 2nd(especially 2nd which concerns me), 3rd or 4th gear if I'm going at a speed that runs the engine at 2 thousand RPM or lower (so a comfortable cruising speed, easy on the fuel) and I put my foot down all the way to accelerate fast... instead of a smooth acceleration (which has always been the case until now) into 4k or more RPM I get this stuttering RPM lift that feels like the engine is being choked and the rear muffler lets out exhaust in spurts like a slow drum roll.

I think Ive had this problem before, which ended up having the engine stall in neutral, turned out to be throttlebody failure. Only 4 days ago I degreased my engine bay heavily. If this is the throttle body is there something on it I should hit with WD40? Perhaps a spring or something exterior on it is seizing?

Fault Checks ran so far:
I know that I didn't get water or degreaser in any internal areas.
I have checked my exhaust and headers extensively, no rust holes.

Any help is appreciated :)

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
I'll check that right now Doom, thanks

EDIT: Doom, your a bloody legend, I've only checked the spark plug seals so far but number two pulled out like it was lubed up haha.. I have spare plugs to go in so maybe I'll just change em all since they're gettin on to over 10 thousand km's...

I'll post later to say if this has fixed the problem :D

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Sooo this is what I dried out of plug no 2...

I honestly don't know how this took so many days to become noticeable though.

As before, I'll post later to say if the problem is fixed

Attachments

• 80483.jpg
    80483.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 29

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
So, I've changed all the spark plugs, didn't fix the acceleration problem, I'm in the process of removing the dizzy cap but its ****ing hard to get that 3rd screw/bolt on the underside of the cap.

Are there any problems/things I should know before I simply remove the two large bolts holding the dizzy onto the block?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Pierce WROTE:

"So, I've changed all the spark plugs, didn't fix the acceleration problem, I'm in the process of removing the dizzy cap but its ****ing hard to get that 3rd screw/bolt on the underside of the cap.

Are there any problems/things I should know before I simply remove the two large bolts holding the dizzy onto the block?

The dizzy will pull out ok, but i usually remove the cam cover to check the offset drive is inserted ok

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Well problem solved, it just needed a couple high revs and then it was fine (after removing all water). So my dad was giving it a test drive and floored first... Under-steered it into a median strip, rolling over the road bumps and bounced over about 5 of them with the wheels spinning in 1st gear at around 6.5 thou rpm , broke my gear stick tortion spring, and shattered the gearbox housing right at the rear engine mount, snapped the gearbox bolt right out of its thread, as far as I'm aware you can't repair a gearbox housing, only the insides... Now I have two micras and no car on the road... And half a bottle of Canadian club.

Sunday is gonna be fun moving the good box from my black micra my green micra.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
two gear boxes removed, one put on, drives better than before funnily enough...

wtf did my weekend go.

EDIT: lesson learned, gearbox will not align when you have dowel in gearbox side and clutch side... :D

Back