ca18det engine swap

CMF_hevyritenike

» CMF Member
Hi all, this is my first post on your cool site, and I was wondering does anybody know if the ca18det from the 200sx has been put in the K11 at all. I will hopefully be able to get a complete donor car, and use the engine, turbo and loom etc. Obviously the engine will be in a different position and the fabrication side of things shouldnt be a problem. I have noticed a few of the british bods are putting the 1600 engine in and was wondering if I used the same gearbox, would the drive shafts work.

Oh, there is also a burgendy micra in the multimedia area, where could I get a kit like that

Cheers

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
N13 came out CA powered. It used the RS5F31A & RS5F31V. (I believe in australia the 1.8L holden powered N13 / whatever holden called there rebadge also has this gearbox, with the CA bell housing - the holden motor was modified to have the CA bolt pattern).
This is the box Cisco has bolted into his K11.

The primera never came out CA powered. The 1.6L GA16 powered primeras use the RS5F31A but I don't think the bell housing bolts up.
The bluebird used RS5F50A & RS5F50V gearboxes with the CA motors. This box is much stronger but is probably overkill for the K11. It wouldn't bolt in either & they all have hydraulic actuated clutch.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yep. I.e. mine is the N15 GA16 box which bolts up to the k11 perfectly without modification. I think the CA/N13 bolt pattern doesn't fit the k11. But N14/N15 does.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
cisco - you needed to make custom driveshafs for the GA16 box didnt you?

What LSD slotted into the GA16 box?

(for the record people, the n14 gearboxes had quite a few 2nd & 3rd selector fork issues - its much safer to buy an n15 ga16 gearbox...)

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah my GA16 shafts are custom made.
I was using SR20 CVs both inner and outer. So the splines were very large and would never break on the micra.

Custom shafts to get the micra's width mates to those splines. Not sure, maybe there is something available that could fit. Its very possible. Like an N12 or something - who knows.

No you can't slam in LSD into the open-centre diff RS5F31A gearbox. I had to bring an entire whole RS5F31V (viscous LSD) gearbox back from Japan complete with its factory shafts to fit it to a micra. But once you have that box, you can replace the viscous unit with a NISMO mechanical LSD. But I'm just going to see how the LSD goes at this stage. (Probably install tomorrow night).

Only thing is that with the N15 gearbox, you still need the N14 speedo drive sensor so that your micra's speedo works. The N15 one is totally sealed electronic, but you need the older mechanical style sensor drive.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah I know. But its all coming back.

All that sort of stuff is best suited to the permanent pages on the web site anyway. Its all in our heads.

I'm working on updating piles of the permanent pages..
The forums should always be for exploring new ideas ideally :) Will be good for the site I think. Like a bushfire.. heh.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Specifically what N14 gearboxes are your referring to? There were four different ones, RS5F30A, RS5F31A, RS5F32A, RS5F50A, and the latter three have viscous options & . Certainly the early 1990 to 1992~1993 of the RS5F50A does not like being forced & when the forks break they get stuck in the gears.

CMF_turbon13

» CMF Member
quote:
No you can't slam in LSD into the open-centre diff RS5F31A gearbox. I had to bring an entire whole RS5F31V (viscous LSD) gearbox back from Japan complete with its factory shafts to fit it to a micra. But once you have that box, you can replace the viscous unit with a NISMO mechanical LSD.

cisco,

Do you know the part number for the Nismo LSD unit to suit this box? (RS5F31V)

Shaun.

CMF_princip

» CMF Member
Lifting this thread again...

I'm losing you here guys. Besides my K11 I have a 200SX S13 with a spare CA18DET engine.

Did you ever find out which gearbox could work with this engine? The N14 one?

Has anyone fitted a CA18DET engine yet? Is there any other alternatives that fit in the engine bay?

Thanks mates..

cisco

» CMF Member
No, but I blew away a turbo pulsar which had a CA18DET.

Plus the CA is heavier. Why would you bother, hot up the CG13DE!!!

cisco

» CMF Member
Hate to drive it around corners though Tom.
Front heavy piece of ****, only good for a dragstrip.
Even a CG13DE with all the turbo gadgets hanging over the front wheels is top-heavy enough.

CMF_princip

» CMF Member
Thanks for the info...

Reason I'm asking is that I only have the 1.0 engine, and I will swap that for something else.

Getting a new engine and making the swap, I thought there might be better alternatives and maybe go for a 1.6 or 1.8 engine when I'm already spending the money and time...

The GA engine, is that from the Nissan Almera? Possible to use both engine and gearbox from N14?

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Yes the Almera had GA16 but if you're saying Almera that means it's probably the poxy underpowered 73kW Euro version without variable intake cam timing & problematic micra style throttle body / AFM. If you're going to fit one, get it form a Jap spec N15, 88kW, that has a large bore remote mounted plastic AFM.
I doubt the Almera got the viscous LSD option either?
The gearbox will fit just like Cisco's viscous version. If you've only got a 1L Micra, then your hubs/outer CV's will be the baby version making the shafts a pain in the arse. You'll need to upsize the outers when fitting the larger motor. Most of the Jap spec GA16DE N15 I've seen have the viscous RS5F31V box, so you might get lucky with a whole front cut.
Other people have commented & provided photos that the GA16 requires a RH chassis rail cut to clear pulley.
But then there's the whole SR20 thing which apparently fits. I don't quite get this because the SR is larger & probably means custom mounts all round & when I measured it, I couldn't see it fitting.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Cutting into the chassis is stupid just to fit a GA. Apparently its only the water pump which fouls the chassis. I don't see why the water pump can't be removed completely, a blank machined plate bolted into its position and an electric waterpump installed somewhere else.

I believe GA waterpumps suck anyway. I seem to remember reading on some american forums that they cavitate really badly over 4000rpm.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah the 31V box was definately a factory option on Japanese N14/N15 GA16DE models. Exact same FB40 bell housing pattern too. Just different length shafts because of the car's wider track.

I have heard of a couple (only a couple) imported to Australia and fitted to aussie GA16DE pulsars as an upgrade. They are very rear over here though.

Possibly some more info on them at www.pulsar.org.au, but I think aj and I have been involved in a lot of those threads over there too.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
i found the pulsar group of aus rather useless information wise.

I dare you to ask if it was a factory option in japan for an LSD box to come on GA16DE powered N15's. I'm 99.9% sure everyone will answer no.

My opinion anyway.

Back