engine swap ftw.... CR12 to CR14

Pictures to come soon... Figured out the solution to my overheating problem also noticed oil was soaking out through the sump found a decent motor at a scrapper and it turns out it was more economical to upgrade my engine rather than to repair... Win+ Win:D

For all those wondering wire harness mounted up just the same and cr12 ecu does run the cr14 im running fuel rails exhaust header and intake mani from cr12 ... as simple as dropping it in and putting on my old alternator starter etc..

Any Questions feel free to ask

i'm looking at upgrading my engine too, nothings actually wrong with mine, was it pretty easy to do? mines a 1.0 k12 still pretty nippy but could be better, want an engine thats going to be worth tuning, but a 1.0 you're lucky if you get an extra 3bhp anyway hardly worth the £500 stage 1

any advice would be good!
cheers:p

Ditto to what Sparkeigh said; I've found a CR14 engine at a great price and I was looking to do a transplant for my CR10 .. again, not really worth tuning since it's so small ... :(

Questions are:
1.) Would it be as easy as taking out the old one and putting the new one in? (taking the front bumper off, disconnecting the whole thing, putting the new engine in and reconnecting it)
2.) If not, what would have to change:
- Drive belt set up
- ECU
- Engine mountings
- Larger engine bay
- Radiator set up
- Gearbox

is the CR10 a vvt tho ? (someone posted not, a couple of weeks ago iirc)

Ditto to what Sparkeigh said; I've found a CR14 engine at a great price and I was looking to do a transplant for my CR10 .. again, not really worth tuning since it's so small ... :(

Questions are:
1.) Would it be as easy as taking out the old one and putting the new one in? (taking the front bumper off, disconnecting the whole thing, putting the new engine in and reconnecting it)
2.) If not, what would have to change:
- Drive belt set up
- ECU
- Engine mountings
- Larger engine bay
- Radiator set up
- Gearbox

is yours vvt ?

1.2 and 1.4 i think, has yours got this solenoid on the end of the cam cover ?

index.jpeg

But even looking at the torque figures it's only about 10%?

Doesn't even seem worth the effort.
Torque curve will be broader on the 1.4, you'll have peak torque over a much wider rev range, bet that 1.2 torque figure is a one hit wonder...

been away from the boards for a while been caught up in a hectic semester @ kooledge.... CR12 to 14 was a pretty much plug and play type of swap ECU: unchanged, cooling system: unchanged, engine accessories ( starter, alternator, a/c compressor etc) also bolted right in place... i put fresh oil and plugs in the new engine put her it into the car and she fired right up

Sounds mad. As a noob who hasn't done an engine transplant before but knows his way around a car, how difficult would you say it was to swap the engine? Obviously I'd need to source an engine crane and some friends to help me take it apart and then move the engine so that it didn't completely wreck the engine bay on the way out. Also a big question about the gearbox: would that just stay standard?

I took out the headlamps that metal bit that covers the radiator and condenser and removed the front bumper as a safety precaution moved the A/C lines and the compressor over to the drivers side wing to get it out the way without disconnecting the lines.... was all down hill from there hoisted the engine into the bay with a hydraulic liftused the dowels to get it on the tranny bolted everything up just as the old engine was and then started installing all the electrical bits.... btw the alternator etc.. were transferred from the old motor onto the new one before puttin it just to make things a bit easier only the a/c compressor was added after and the starter iirc.... Just to confirm both CR12& CR14 are vvt engines even though they do not have VE attached to their names as per nissan nomenclature. There is a very noticable change in power which has enabled me to assassinate many unsuspecting road users the likes of lightly modified toyotas, hondas and even b13 nissans . Alas ive become pretty bored with the car and will be letting it go this year to get something more exhilerating

Hmm well, ive only got the car for half a year or so before I head off to university across, so I won't be neeeding it after that, but it gives me something to do and something to experiment on before I leave.

Back