engine sounds BAD

I have noticed that my engine has a nasty sound to it. It has a sort or squeeking sound as though something is rubbing that repeats every few seconds. Does anyone have a clue what it is? the engine works fine but im sure an engine shouldn't sound like this. The nosie is definately coming from the engine itself.

sorry for the bad description but describing a sound is hard:k12red:

Sounds like a nackered fan belt. When was it serviced last?

If it was over 9k miles or 12 months get the oil, belts and plugs changed!

had it since end of september last year. hasn't been serviced or anything so im unsure when it actualy was last serviced (should a service light come on on the dash when it eneds one). The car has done 4k miles since ive had it

It could be same as what I'm getting, a loud squeaking at start up and quieter when driving, I'm gonna try changing the belts.
Will upadate when I get round to it, let me know if you sort yours.

a certain point on a belt squeaking could make sense as the sound is a certain rythm of squeaks that repeats every second-ish. i hope the clutch isn't nackered its only dun 23k. altho its got a year warrently so doesnt matter if it is i supose. i'l check clutch out today and post back

Chaning belts is easy and is on my list of guides next month.

If you've had the car since sept and haven't serviced it get it done. You'll notice a huge difference!

nope nothing to do with clutch just tried it. the sound is coming from either the left side of the engine block or the belts that are on there (couldn't pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from)

it could be two things:

1:fan belts are oldand nackered or under adjusted - more than likely this is the problem

2:the water pump bearing is going

My engine also has a strange sound, like the belt are worn or something.
It comes when the engine is hot on the left side of the engine.
I have just had a major service on it including engine oil, oil filter, air filter,
spark plug and belt change.
It is irritating and I hope that it is safe to drive this way...

Just got a tip from a friend that is a mechanic that it can be the bearing in
the water pump that causes the sound.

My cars got that problem just as it starts up, and when i turn on blowers and window heaters. recently had a service and they didnt do anythin bout it, so im thinkin i should do it myself......is it particularly easy or hard?

Back