Engine seen better days

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Lads I use my st on track alot, like its been on 3 trackdays this year alone.
It always let out a bit of blue smoke on gear changes at high revs never thought much of it as the compression was good enough on it ,still is ok aswell.

Basically there's been no expense spared when it comes to servicing this car, but the last few months I've been driving it on the road and some mornings I start it cold and small bit of blue smoke comes out of it for a few seconds after starting but she's grand once she's fully warmed up.

I have changed brand of oil but its a top brand aswell ,I was using redline 15w/50 never found it that smokey ,now using Mobil 1 15w/50

Now the engine has alot more to go before it needs to be ripped apart for a rebuild, but is it the rings starting to go or wear on the valve stem oil seals?

Also there's the issue of not being able to get rings for it? Could I get a set made?

Please discuss

Baz

hey baz i was speaking to a guy on ebay in the usa who was selling rings for a figaro he said he can probably get some for the march mate if you look on ebay and type in ring for a figaro and you might find him selling stuff . hope this helps

hey baz i was speaking to a guy on ebay in the usa who was selling rings for a figaro he said he can probably get some for the march mate if you look on ebay and type in ring for a figaro and you might find him selling stuff . hope this helps

Thanks man but ma09 pistons are 66mm ma10et are 68mm:doh:

If you find a workshop that does internals you could get rings made up to any specification you want. I was planning to get some made up in the near future but I will probably be focusing on the head more for now. I can find out how much they would cost to get made, if you want me to ask??

I found a supplier of standard CAST IRON rings. However these really are not suitable for the MA09 engine. I didn't find any thing else from any of the more well known major suppliers.

If you find a workshop that does internals you could get rings made up to any specification you want. I was planning to get some made up in the near future but I will probably be focusing on the head more for now. I can find out how much they would cost to get made, if you want me to ask??
Yes man ask for me , I can paypal you the cash!

I found a supplier of standard CAST IRON rings. However these really are not suitable for the MA09 engine. I didn't find any thing else from any of the more well known major suppliers.

Why is that ed?

Thanks man but ma09 pistons are 66mm ma10et are 68mm:doh:

just to point out, he didn't say they fitted he said the bloke might be able to get some for the march :upside:

cheers mate if 1 person understands me im on a roll... ha ha

hereyou are baz these sell pinton rings from 12mm to 2500mm these should sort you out mate
http://www.thn.nl/main.php?lang=UK&page=producten.php

here is the spec of a standard ma09ert ring but you probably know this anyway

The top B×T: 1.5mm×2.5mm
Outer shape: Barrel force
Surface treatment: Nitride processing
Second base B×T: 1.5mm×2.9mm
Outer shape: Taper
Surface treatment: Chrome plating Oil B×T: 2.8mm×2.8mm

just to point out, he didn't say they fitted he said the bloke might be able to get some for the march :upside:

Misread the post:p thanks mate(Y) and sorry John

cheers mate if 1 person understands me im on a roll... ha ha

hereyou are baz these sell pinton rings from 12mm to 2500mm these should sort you out mate
http://www.thn.nl/main.php?lang=UK&page=producten.php

here is the spec of a standard ma09ert ring but you probably know this anyway

The top B×T: 1.5mm×2.5mm
Outer shape: Barrel force
Surface treatment: Nitride processing
Second base B×T: 1.5mm×2.9mm
Outer shape: Taper
Surface treatment: Chrome plating Oil B×T: 2.8mm×2.8mm

Where did you get that info man? I did'nt know that no. . .:wasntme:
Don't really understand the spec ,can anyone the outer shpe and surface treatment.
John did you get that of the internet?

baz, i think most top rings are nitide coated cast iron, and 2nd rings are chrome plated cast iron.
the various used CG rings i have are very low wear on the top 2 but very high wear on the oil control rings, and i will buy some oversize oil rings for mine, and file the ends to suit the bore wear (like we do on our karts) :)

Thanks man! I have to admit I have read that before just never took it in to the memory(Y)

baz, i think most top rings are nitide coated cast iron, and 2nd rings are chrome plated cast iron.
the various used CG rings i have are very low wear on the top 2 but very high wear on the oil control rings, and i will buy some oversize oil rings for mine, and file the ends to suit the bore wear (like we do on our karts) :)
Cool , oil control ring basically control the amount of oil that gets as far as the compression rings right? So what are the affects of a worn one?

Is there no spec for that ?

Cool , oil control ring basically control the amount of oil that gets as far as the compression rings right? So what are the affects of a worn one?

yeh, i think the 3rd ring scrapes most of the oil away leaving enough to ensure a bore seal, and my old super s drank oil (progressively worse) from about 90k onwards (mainly from a cold start, but also when thrashed), due to worn oil control rings, imo fwn

going off piston rings 4 a minute are you sure it not the seals in the turbo just pushing a bit of oil past the seals? as it could be this as well only thought id mention it.

yeh, i think the 3rd ring scrapes most of the oil away leaving enough to ensure a bore seal, and my old super s drank oil (progressively worse) from about 90k onwards (mainly from a cold start, but also when thrashed), due to worn oil control rings, imo fwn

Thought that myself,if I got a set for a ma10 could ya not file them down? Crude I know but could it be done?

going off piston rings 4 a minute are you sure it not the seals in the turbo just pushing a bit of oil past the seals? as it could be this as well only thought id mention it.
Seals in the turbo are fine ,happened on the first st I had, boost pipe's were always full of oil on that one. . .this st the boost pipes are always completely dry.

Thought that myself,if I got a set for a ma10 could ya not file them down? Crude I know but could it be done ?

i think 2mm is too much baz (and you would,nt end up with a pure circle :eek:), i would say preferably 1/2 a mm max (depending on your bore wear) :)
and it,s not crude, all the tuners gap the rings to suit (3 thou" for every inch of boresize iirc, so 9 thou" for a 3 " bore)

i think 2mm is too much baz (and you would,nt end up with a pure circle :eek:), i would say preferably 1/2 a mm max (depending on your bore wear) :)
and it,s not crude, all the tuners gap the rings to suit (3 thou" for every inch of boresize iirc, so 9 thou" for a 3 " bore)

I was thinking that it might be too much. If you type in "Supra build" on the tube you will see them gapping piston rings. Ah well:(

blue smoke

i was only talking to baz the other day about this, my car now has 174km on the clock and even he said it that my car has not even a tiny bit of smoke coming out of it and never leaks any oil either and i do drive my st quite hard all the time!!

i was only talking to baz the other day about this, my car now has 174km on the clock and even he said it that my car has not even a tiny bit of smoke coming out of it and never leaks any oil either and i do drive my st quite hard all the time!!

Your just a jammy dodger Warren ,running 30degrees ignition and all. Bring it down to mondello I'll blow it up for ya:laugh:

That is pretty damn good! With that many ks I'd be keeping a close eye on it though.

Mine has done 115k and so far I've had to put a cuff around my cam as there was a small groove worn into it that was leaking oil. Rest of the time it was just seals needing replacing etc. so no biggie. But the cam one just appeared very quickly and got bad fairly quickly so it's worth checking regularly.

mine hit 90k the other day, its gonna be one massive service i think to make sure it does another 100km

still keen on getting a new turbo on it too

Has it already been said? but it could be the turbo oil seals, my car is exactly the same as yours, sometimes the odd touch off blue smoke when cold, and a little puff when changing gears, the verdict of most people seems to be the turbo oil seals.

Has it already been said? but it could be the turbo oil seals, my car is exactly the same as yours, sometimes the odd touch off blue smoke when cold, and a little puff when changing gears, the verdict of most people seems to be the turbo oil seals.

Not the turbo seals no

yer it does sound like the oil control rings mate. i'm inquiring about the rings for you with in few places let me see what i can do mate.

Back