Engine running rough in idle, hesitant in 4th

Hi all,

I have a 2000 k11 gx 1.0l - she's run like a dream up until the last 12 months or so. I now find that when the car starts and is running in idle, the rev counter bobs up and down randomnly (by maybe quarter of a 1000 at min and max), and the chassis itself vibrates. Not much mind, but enough to get a bit sickening after a few minutes! I've also found that when driving, coming up to stops and roundabouts she gets very hesitant, almost as if to stall but not quite. The final piece of this puzzle is that when I'm accelerating out on a motorway up through the gears, the initial change into fourth gear causes the engine itself to hesitate for a second before accellerating again. Also while accellerating through fourth, a particular feint noise (almost like gas releasing) can be heard when throttle is applied. This only seems to happen in fourth gear.

My last car service helped a tiny bit with the above problems, but not much. I'm thinking now that maybe I should try a local Nissan service dealer, as when I called them up the guy mentioned "resetting the idle". I'm sad to say I'm only learning about all this stuff, so I've no idea where to start on diagnosing and then fixing these problems.

Can anyone help? :)

Thanks,
Aengus

sounds like the MAF sensor to be honest but am sure someone will have encountered this before and come up with either the same as what ive said or something different.

j

guys, many thanks for the replies :)

OK, so the hunch is that it could be the MAF sensor...am I right in saying this is the dry solder issue in the box under the throttlehead, and would need to be resoldered? Lot of info on here and on the site, so finding it hard to track down exactly what to do to test/correct MAF sensor

Thanks,
Aengus

Hi all,

I have a 2000 k11 gx 1.0l - she's run like a dream up until the last 12 months or so. I now find that when the car starts and is running in idle, the rev counter bobs up and down randomnly (by maybe quarter of a 1000 at min and max), and the chassis itself vibrates. Not much mind, but enough to get a bit sickening after a few minutes! I've also found that when driving, coming up to stops and roundabouts she gets very hesitant, almost as if to stall but not quite. The final piece of this puzzle is that when I'm accelerating out on a motorway up through the gears, the initial change into fourth gear causes the engine itself to hesitate for a second before accellerating again. Also while accellerating through fourth, a particular feint noise (almost like gas releasing) can be heard when throttle is applied. This only seems to happen in fourth gear.

My last car service helped a tiny bit with the above problems, but not much. I'm thinking now that maybe I should try a local Nissan service dealer, as when I called them up the guy mentioned "resetting the idle". I'm sad to say I'm only learning about all this stuff, so I've no idea where to start on diagnosing and then fixing these problems.

Can anyone help? :)

Thanks,
Aengus

hi i also have the same problem i was wondering if u had found out what it was, the thing is mine was running rough because when i bought it the previous owner's have not looked after it at all, i've had to take off the fuel tank as it was full of water from the fuel filler pipe being rusted to hell, she's a brill little car but with this problem i cant use her at all as when its juddering while the rev counter bounces at 1.5 (which it always does at anytime when reved over it, after an incident with my previous car (a corsa 05) where the cams where left loose (when she was made) one snapped while goin down the motorway i'd rather not experience another incident on a motorway

any help would brill
red

I have got the same problem. the engine isn't idling or running rough but it hesitates in 3rd gear and judders quite a bit. all other gears are ok. any ideas?

I'm also having a similar problem. It usually takes a few seconds for it to start up, (sounds like it doesn't want to start at times) but it idles completely fine. It also has this hesitating problem, but mine's with 2nd gear and sometimes in 5th

I'm no expert at this, but, mine was a bit similar to this when I bought it. I changed the throttle body (£95 on E bay) fixed the problem instantly.
Reading about this throttle body problem - it seems to be related to poorly serviced vehicles - mainly infrequent oil changes.
I now change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Have done with all my cars - just think it helps.
Just remembered, the throttle body came with all the ancillaries attached, so got new mafs, potential meters etc at the same time - hope that helps

I'm no expert at this, but, mine was a bit similar to this when I bought it. I changed the throttle body (£95 on E bay) fixed the problem instantly.
Reading about this throttle body problem - it seems to be related to poorly serviced vehicles - mainly infrequent oil changes.
I now change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Have done with all my cars - just think it helps.
Just remembered, the throttle body came with all the ancillaries attached, so got new mafs, potential meters etc at the same time - hope that helps

your doing 5k oil changes, hows the rust situation:) :)

Back