Engine idle noise not good!!!!

k6pfs

Ex. Club Member
Hi all,

I have checked to see if this is on any other pages and I cant find it so here is what the problem is;

Car runs & drives fine, no water loss, no oil loss no over heating, no loss of power no cutting out.

On idle or low rev's it sounds like a diesel! a real loud metal banging from the engine but once you start driving it goes and then sometimes comes back in.

Could it be a tensioner? Or the timing chain? I have taken the side inspection cover off and the chain doesnt seem bad. Could it be something else that i'm missing?

Any help would be good please!!!!!

I did think tensioner, is that an engine out job to fix?

k6, is it louder if you run it with the side cover off ?, mine sounded like a diesel with the 2mm skimmed head on and high milage lower chain, and more likely chain than tensioner imo (if it is in the chain area)

I did think tensioner, is that an engine out job to fix?

No, but a tad fiddly.

Frank - you ran the engine without that cover on? Surely you ended up looking like a minstrel with a face fill of oil?

No, but a tad fiddly.

Frank - you ran the engine without that cover on? Surely you ended up looking like a minstrel with a face fill of oil?

How fiddly? Do you or Frank know what to do? I can do a video of it with the cover off if that would help?

Mine sounded like a diesel until yesterday when i changed the chains and tensioners after the car died on thursday the top tensioner was completely distroyed and the chain has two cracks in it it also jumped two teeth which is why it died, infact if it hadnt of jumped teeth the chain would of snapped anyway.

How many miles had it done sleepy? Its really rare that chains do that on K11s

Back