electric water pump

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Stay away from them. I put one on Whitey ( Davis Craig) and it never worked properly. Seized the first pump,after a lot of agro they sent another one and we could never ever get it to function properly. Temp gauge would always get half way between normal and red before it would cut in , no matter what we tried and trying to get advice from them proved nearly impossible.To much to go wrong with them compared to a basic mechanical pump.Anyway thats my experience with them. There are some power gains but man I was always terrified it would not work.I have since heard other bad stories about them.
Biggest bitch I have is lack of customer service and if it does not work its like you are the idiot. Mine fitted by my mechanic Guru and it was done exactly to instructions.We spent bloody hours and hours on it trying to get it to work properly.

CMF_Chookman

» CMF Member
Put one on a supercharged small block chev. Worked.....ok.
The pump failed on a run one day at the worst place and time possible. Sunday afternoon on the way back from Canberra.
If I had a normal pump it may have been a quick fix with a belt (spare in the boot) or a standard pump from a speed shop
repco worst case)
The choice to run an electric water pump might save you some power, but it could cost you something more. Nothing's free in the power-building world. What makes power for you in one area, can extract a price in another. While the power benefits of an electric water pump can hardly be denied, the costs of running one on the street can be harsh. Overheating would be your main cause for concern. That's because, while most stock and aftermarket belt-driven pumps can flow as much as 400 litres of water per minute and racing pumps can flow even more, most electric pumps flow less than half that amount. It's a simple matter of physics and a giant paradox of performance. In order to flow enough water through the system, the pump requires a power source strong enough to move a large quantity of liquid. The gains from moving lots of water through the system are better cooling. The losses are measured in horsepower. An electric motor, on the other hand, does not cost horsepower to run, but instead it trades volume for power and cannot flow as much water.

The eventual benefits of the electric pump...to me, were small.
The hassles it caused setting up etc etc for whatever gain I may have recieved in power in the long run wasn't worth it.
Eventually thge hassle of changing back to mechanical unit was well worth it (because of the blower)as I had trouble free motoring from then on.

CMF_kristian...

» CMF Member
Well Ive just purchased a DAVIES pump.. I hope its fine... I think some of your problems would have been eliminated If wired Directly with a stitch as mine will be, but this is a little ungainly on a normal Road Car..

CMF_Chookman

» CMF Member
Kristian,

I think it will be ok as well. Davies pumps are a product leader and a few of my friends run and swear by them. My particular situation differed somewhat from theirs (no blower). They also have gone as far as fitting flow guages to keep an eye on the pump. Instead of waiting for the car to overheat as an indication of a potential problem, the flow meter gives immediate advice trouble is on its way.
Typically superchargered engines run hot at the best of times so taking chances with cooling systems wasn't a great idea for me.
Everyone situation is different. Keep us all posted as I am keen to see how it turns out. Obviously the application of an electric pump on a four cylinder will have a differing effect and I can only speak from my personal V8 experience so I'm very interested in the gains you will receive.
Just for the record....don't run the big V8 anymore. Have a '97 LX Micra and absolutely love it. Is more fun than the V8 ever was. doesn't look as cool though.....YET!!!
Chook

CMF_kristian...

» CMF Member
Well the reason Ive gone for the electric water pump is because Ive had to remove the powersteering pump and the water pump on my SR20 powered micra.. due to cleareance issues.. The hole in the block for the pump houseing has been blanked off...

If it was possible to retain the mechanical pump I would have done for reliability and to save on extra expense...

but still..

Im saving a few Kgs, and getting notable increase in power.. with the crank only turning a single belt for the alternator..

Will post some pics of the installation of the pump asap..

CMF_Chookman

» CMF Member
Kristian,

Sounds like you have no choice.The electric pump should work out ok. Be sure to thoroughly flush your cooling system to remove any debris. The impellor and electric motor aren't as robust as the mechanical version and although are very strong won't like a large foreign body.
Spoke to a couple of friends and they also suggested running a second or backup pump in a bypass configuration. They're speaking from an endurance race background (24hr type) where they have a back for a backup for just about everything. Just an idea if your really worried but not necessary.

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
Its fascinating to here when the small (=Micra) things in life can give you pleasure. That doesn't mean a big throbbing V8 is bad though!

I've always liked the idea of an electric water pump but this thread has raised the various pros and cons and possible serious repercussions if it all goes wrong. I suppose unlike a thermofan, a water pump has to run most of the time so its got to be reliable. It might be good to have one as a backup to a mechanical water pump???
Might argue that when your water pressure is low or water temp is high, it's better to switch the motor off!

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
that is strange that you had to remove the water pump on your sr 20 conversion. It must be because of how the engine is positioned. I to are building micra with an sr 20 from a gti-r coupled to a n15 fwd lsd gearbox and I managed to retain both the power steering and mechanical water pump, I will probably even keep the air-con too.

CMF_kristian...

» CMF Member
MICRAT

Any pics of how close your Pullies are to the Side of the engine bay?

When fitting your engine have you dropped it in the top or up through the bottom.. ?

Due to my situation and lack of space.. Mine has had to go in the top.. And I must say is a snug fit..

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
There is not excessive but adequate clearance on the power steering and waterpump pulleys (the power steering pulley has the least clearance). Yes the engine and box are fitted while bolted together and from the bottom. I have a reasonably well equipped workshop at home, with the engine/box on the ground I lowered the body shell down on the hoist to a workable height and then used an engine crane to lift the engine/gearbox into position. I then proceeded to mount the engine/gearbox. Firstly I modified a mount from a n15 to fit into the standard chassis mount on the right hand side. Next I measured and appropriately cut up the steel parts of a micra and a n15 gearbox mount and welded the two necessary pieces together and fitted a nismo bush, this bolts into the original chassis mount on the left hand side. Following this I made the gearbox mount closest to the firewall, this was also made from sections of both micra and n15 mounts welded together and also uses a nismo bush and bolts to the factory brace/crossmember (which bolts from the firewall to the tie-bar (bottom of radiator support panel)). At the front end of this brace/crossmember I fabricated a bracket to mount another nismo mount to the front the engine (radiator side). After the mounts were all made I modified the gear linkages and connected them. At the moment I am working on building a new plenumn for the quad throttle bodies (GTI-R) and the intercooler plumbing for the PWR water to air intercooler, that will be followed by 4spot front/2 spot rear brakes and custom suspension. And the list goes on and on.

Attachments

• 20045.jpg
    20045.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 35
Back