Chemical Metal on Leaking Water Pump

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
Hi,

I have located a leak on the seal of the water/coolant pump on my k11 micra (possibly gasket has gone). Rather than removing it and replacing I plan to try to stop the leak with chemical metal. Was wondering if anyone could advice if this is a bad idea?

Thanks for any help,

Chris.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Fixing it properly is always the best solution ;)

If it's leaking from the back of the water pump (not that uncommon) then an O-ring seal where the metal pipe enters the back of the pump will need replacing. However if it's leaking from the edge of the face of where the water pump bolts onto on the block, then it's a simple matter of unbolting the pump, hitting it lightly with a rubber hammer 'til it's loose enough to be removed, then make up a new gasket with gasket goo and bolting it back together.

I don't know the procedure of replacing that O-ring on the water pump, but it should be inexpensive but i'm unsure of what's involved in getting the old one out and getting the new one in there. I'm sure someone on here has done it before though.

---dens

CMF_DeepFraught

» CMF Member
As dens said, better to fix it properly, it is quicker and longer lasting than all the alternatives.

The quick fixes are a bandaid, and can lead to infection and other complications, as this story goes.

If the quick fix you are intending to use is the clear liquid with copper looking filings in it, you are supposed to drain the coolant after idling engine til the leak stops. In this story it sealed a drain plug leak.

The excess filings that aren't used up in sealing cracks and leaks stay in the cooling system, and wreak havoc on existing non-leaking seals, creating a new kind of leak. In this story it caused the water pump impeller seal to leak.

Nulon (Aus brand) do a radiator/cooling system Stop Leak product, sounds similar but may have more cellulose fibre in it (like the egg white in cooling system trick). This stuff fixed the leak impeller seal leak that the Chem-Weld product created. The product description sounds similar though may not be as harsh.
http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?productName=Radiator_Stop_Leak

In the end the cooling system needs to be drained, seals need to be replaced, and you are 3/4 of the way and cost to doing it properly fixing the problem rather than the symptoms, and zero waste and headaches in the long run.

With global warming, you guys in the UK will need decent functioning cooling systems that won't let you down :)

CMF_economy_guy

» CMF Member
I figured I'd revive the thread, since I have the problem of the leaking o-ring at the pipe/coolant pump housing. I guess I'm going to have to get the water pump off somehow, clean in the back, find an appropriate sized washer and put everything back together with liquid gasket?

I bought a new water pump thinking that was the problem, but I guess it can't hurt to have a new one on there anyway.

I found this thread where it seems to describe doing that, hope it helps someone else with the same issues.

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/15422-Mum-s-Micra-is-losing-water...FAST!

CMF_economy_guy

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"the pipe/O ring sits inside the block, so the waterpump stays put

and there are a couple of 12mm bolts holding the pipe on iirc :)

frank
Thanks for replying, frank2! So let me get this straight - are you saying that I don't have to loosen belts and remove the water pump at all? Just remove the pipe and somehow get the o-ring or washer in there?

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
economy_guy WROTE:

"frank2 WROTE:

"the pipe/O ring sits inside the block, so the waterpump stays put

and there are a couple of 12mm bolts holding the pipe on iirc :)

frank"</div>

Thanks for replying, frank2! So let me get this straight - are you saying that I don't have to loosen belts and remove the water pump at all? Just remove the pipe and somehow get the o-ring or washer in there?

remove the inlet manifold bottom support bracket for easier access

unbolt the coolant return pipe from the back of the engine block and the thermostat housing

pull the return pipe sideways out of the block/waterpump area

cut the old o-ring out

slip the new o-ring on, dab abit of engine oil round it to aid reinsertion

push the coolant pipe back in

reassemble

CMF_economy_guy

» CMF Member
Ok, I've now managed to cut the o-ring loose. Does anyone know the specs of the o-ring? The o-ring pack I bought at Repco doesn't seem to have an exact match. The original seems to have an ID of 22.5mm. The cross section is about 4mm wide and about 3mm deep. That being said, I strongly suspect that it was originally circular in cross section, it has just lost most of its elasticity after 15 years.

I guess at least you can get the o-rings from the dealer fairly cheap in the UK. (Though they erroneously suggest that you would need to remove the water pump, which you don't.)

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/15422-Mum-s-Micra-is-losing-water...FAST!

To further flesh out asdame's instructions, here is what I did (or will do):

Step 0: Order a N*210492J200 O-ring from your local Nissan dealer, they may have to order it in, so do this in advance. It only costs about $3, so go genuine. (Thanks kovert.k11!). Also ensure that you have enough coolant (and distilled water, if you use concentrate) for a coolant change.

1. Jack the front of the car up so that it sits on jack stands at the front jacking points (e.g. the sills).
2. Remove the 3*12mm bolts on the Y-shaped inlet manifold bottom support bracket for easier access, and remove the bracket. You will need to be under the car to do this.
3. Remove the 12mm bolt holding the return line to the back of the engine block.
4. While we are under the car, at this point it is probably a good idea to remove the hose at the bottom of the radiator, to empty the coolant (e.g. into a bucket such as used for changing the oil.). You will probably want a Philips head screwdriver to undo the worm drive clip.
5. Now, we will want to remove the 12mm bolt near the thermostat, which is tricky because there is some stuff in the way. We will want to first remove the bolt (10mm?) that secures the black air intake pipe not far from the battery.
6. Then we will want to remove the coolant pipe that goes from the thermostat to the firewall, otherwise it will be very difficult to get a ratchet in there. Might want to give the inside a clean as well. You will need a regular screwdriver to unscrew the worm drive clips.
7. Unscrew the 12mm bolt that holds the coolant return pipe to the thermostat housing.
8. Now we are free to pull the coolant return pipe from the thermostat housing end, so that it pulls straight out of the water pump housing.
9. Cut the o-ring out. I used box cutters.
10. Use a small wire brush to clean the corrosion/dried coolant off the end of the coolant return pipe where you have taken it out. Probably also would pay to brush the inside of the water pump housing (inserting the brush, and then pulling the corrosion out with the brush so that you aren't spreading the corrosion inside the coolant loop.)
11. Replace the o-ring, grease with something e.g. engine oil.
12. Reassemble. Refer to Haynes manual for coolant change procedure. The original manual might have it too, not sure.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I just got my O-Rings for that from my local Nissan Dealer. I think they were $3 or so each. If you need the part number I can get it for you but might not be able to until tomorrow or the weekend.

---dens

Back