Drive shaft Replacement

Drive shaft problems.

Can anyone tell me how bigger job changing a drive shaft is. My CV joints are clicking and need replacing but i've been told its easier to just change the whole thing.

Would it be something i could do myself or would it be better to take it to a garage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I needed to replace both my cv joints on my 1.0 k11. After researching online I was lead to believe I needed to remove the strut, track rod end and lower ball joint-NOT SO!! After wasting ages wrestling with the lower ball joint nut ( no clearance to get a ring spanner on-a slow grind with a mole wrench) i realized all i needed to do was the following:
whilst wheels still on ground loosen hub nut-this may be very stiff. Correct size socket and extension bar essential. Good practice not to reuse original nut-your cv kit should have a new one with it.
loosen wheel nuts.Chock rear wheels.
Raise car-support on axle stand.
Remove wheel and hub nut.
Remove the 2 strut nuts and bolts .
Apply full steering lock.Pull cv shaft out of hub. Hacksaw off old gator clips. Tap cv off drive shaft . Dont forget to replace the old c clip with a new one-kit should have this and full joint with the grease provided. Re assemble in reverse order remembering to torque all nuts up to correct spec-simples!

Back