door strip removal

I know this has been asked many many times, search doesnt bring up anything, are the plastic strips along the doors easy to take off? Dont want to go messing then realise the paint is coming off with it!:fwn
thanks.

paint shouldnt come off if the paint has been done properly...

simply pry them off with something that wont scratch the metal so plastic or whatever...

then use petrol or some kind of spirit to remove the glue...

or use a caramel wheel in a drill and take about an hour from start to finish and it removes stickers and all glue residue...

then simply buff up with a little t-cut or polish

BE AWARE

if its red or the paint has slight fade it will show a little when the strips are removed due to the paint behind the stip wont have faded at all

I used a strong rag and flossed the ######s off, then rubbed the glue with white spirit til it was soft and easy to pick off.

white spirit is white spirit mate (Y)

if you're lucky you could get away with just yanking them off like i did :laugh:

I removed mine with brute force, some very close up jet washing to remove the majority of it then a lot of white spirit.
Mines red but i didn't have the colour issues at all.

wiked:grinning:
run a heat gun on low heat continually along the strip,dont stop in one place
after 1;30 second(long strip pre faceiage) stop it!:grinning:
see if it loosen'd any,if not another go at the above said - should give way sooner rather than later
and beats risking draging of all your paintwork ripping it off

DSC00131-2.jpg

There you go.

wiked:grinning:
run a heat gun on low heat continually along the strip,dont stop in one place
after 1;30 second(long strip pre faceiage) stop it!:grinning:
see if it loosen'd any,if not another go at the above said - should give way sooner rather than later
and beats risking draging of all your paintwork ripping it off

or boil a kettle up and slowly drip the hot/warm water along the strip a few times

Top work Dave ! Now you only need to remove that side 16V badge, it makes me think of those 16v Twingo "oh look, I have a 16V engine, it's so incredible for a ####ty french car, impressed eh" :wasntme:

I've only done one side of the de-stripping, badges go last ha ha, there is so much effort involved.

Back