Does your Micra steer slightly to the left?

I've been told by a Nissan Sales Rep that all Nissans (well, Micras anyway) steer slightly to the left when you let go of the steering wheel (to avoid hitting oncoming vehicles if you happen to fall asleep). Does yours do that? I'm not sure whether he was telling porkys or the wheels needed tracking.

it could just be the camber of the road.. if you drive on the wrong side of the road, obv at 4am when its empty, does it go right??

Mine drives in a straight line.... when it goes...

Get the Allignment checked out, when you do, they should tell you why it's pulling.

Tyres worn at all?
Have you put any Air in the Tyres recently?
Front Suspension strut
Balljoints...
Brakes binding or low Brake pads...
Lower Suspension arm bushes could be worn

The price of an Allignment varies

DITO !! this is the most annoying characteristic of my K12 SR car.

yes it is exaccerbated by road camber, but i've had my realigned, tweaked, balanced whatever... twice .. almost no improvement. note: My car hasn't been pranged.

I changed my tyres first, and then moved the wheels around, and this helped... slightly.

rubbish innit?

the only positive i can think of is that it's helped grow my left forearm, to match my right-hand's w@nkers grip .

Driving on and off pavements doesn't help, cliping the kerb, driving through Potholes....if it gets too bad you'll need to pull it apart and check items individually and do the wiggle test.

Mine very slightly does on some roads, I think its just the camber of the road just has a slight more effect on the micras.

yer a lot of roads will be higher in the middle to stop rain from sitting on them, certain roads are worse than others.

a tiny bit to the left but like every one says its coz of the slight lean to the left on the motor way its fine and goes straight never been pranged or owt, no one here at nissan have ever heard of such tosh lol

Thanks guys.

Well, i took it down my local tyre place. They checked the wheel alignment and it was definitely out. After they re-aligned it, i took it round the block to see if it solved the problem. To my surprise, it pulled more to the left than before. Took it back, they re-checked the alignment, still spot on. So they swapped the front tyres over stating that the tread may cause the pulling as it had worn in a certain way when they were out of alignment. Tried it again, this time it was better, doesn't seem to pull as much, but still very very slightly to the left. I think i can live it but it has left the steering wheel slightly out (when you are in a straight line, the wheel is slightly turned to the right). I hope this would rectify itself once i change the front tyres when they need replacing as i believe it could be the tread thats causing the slight pulling now.

What do you think?

I knew the sales rep was bullsh*ting when he told me about avoiding hitting an oncoming vehicle. I can't understand why he needed to tell me that. I wouldn't have thought Nissan would be very impressed with him. All he needed to say was to get the technicians to check it over.

What about the countries where you drive on the other side, you'd steer into traffic.

But the camber of the road would bank to the right so technically you would end up steering straight:grinning:

Hi All.

I saw this thread last week but just hadn't had time to sit down and write anything.

One course of the problem could be a manufacturing fault, I'll explain.

The Electronic Steering System has a ASP (Absolute Steering Postion), basically it automatical pulls the vehicle to straight ahead postion, this function has taken away the mehanical infulance to acheive this, (basically, saves on tire wear, petrol etc)

But if the steering wheel hasn't been fitted on the straight ahead spline (on the EPS system) then this will look like the vehicle is pulling to a certain direction, as the Electronic Steering System will be trying to go straight ahead.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend everyone taking there steering wheel off to check but maybe worth asking the garage to....

Hope this helps.

Jason

Just thought.

The consult II reads the steering angle outputted via CAN (OBD socket) from the EPS system.

Maybe worth asking the garage to put in the consult II, drive straight and see what the EPS thinks the steering angle is, should be pretty close to 0 Deg, if it's reading >5 Degrees then it maybe the problem.

Hope this helps.

jason

Well, after taking it to my local tyre place, the car wasn't pulling as much but it left the steering wheel off centre, a bit to the right, when i was going in a straight line. I couldn't live with it anymore so i took it to my local Nissan dealer to let them check it over. £25 later, my problems have been rectified. The car isn't pulling anymore and my steering wheel is lined up. They re-aligned the wheels, adjusted my tyre pressures and rechecked the steering wheel aim. Also they gave the car a basic health check which showed everything to be working correctly and fluids were at the right levels. They gave the car a quick clean too!

Strangly enough, the service desk receptionists did say that Nissans and Renaults do very, very slightly veer to the left when you let go of the steering wheel on a straight road. The same had been said to me by another Nissan dealer from a different county. Apparently, this is a safety issue so you don't hit oncoming traffic or motorway barriers if you doze off. When you get a chance to speak to your local Nissan dealer, why not ask them the same question. It would be interesting to see what answer you get.

Thanks for your comments.

"the only positive i can think of is that it's helped grow my left forearm, to match my right-hand's w@nkers grip ."

haha good one mate!! :D

mines goes let when you plank the foot to the foor but that is just torque steering the car shortest driveshat left side so i am used to it goin keft but otherwise its a straightliner

my k11 snaps to full lock under braking on a cambered road.... my arms are big enough to cope though...lol

haha just to jump on the bandwagon - found this thread while trying to see if anyone else's pulled left... mines only got 10k on the clock, it's like new, nearly new tyres, laser aligned and tracked recently when lowered... goes left it you let the wheel go!! I put it down to biiig camber on the road

mine pulls to the left too. just bought it and its been tracked. Thinking of taking it back to the dealers to have another look at it. It's not too bad, but a bit annoying.

I might also swap over the front wheels since the tyres can become used to the tracking issues, so when it is tracked properly, the tyres still pull it to the left.

Back