does anyone know? what may of cause this?

Hi well recently my friend and my brother took apart my dads toyota carina e gti as some people already know. But today after taking everything of the engine we realised that one of the piston rings had been melted to the piston! can someone please tell me what may off caused this and what are the affects of it? coz the carina did smoke before and is this the cause of it all?
i know its not a Nissan please mind me.
Toyota forum is **** lol
thanks in advance

after taking everything of the engine we realised that one of the piston rings had been melted to the piston! can someone please tell me what may off caused this and what are the affects of it?
i know its not a Nissan please mind me.
Toyota forum is **** lol
thanks in advance

I can vouch for that; the toyota forum is not nearly as well supported as the MSC

I take it the bore of the engine where the melted piston ring was, had been quite badly scored/damaged! if so then I too would be sourcing a new one,- if possible from a celica - preferably from an import

Lean mixture would be unlikely to cause that. Is it very gummed up? Perhaps the oil control rings are blocked? TBH I need to see the piston to tell you. Could even have been sever detonation or may have at some stage nearly ran out of oil. But without seeing the rest of the engine it would be hard to say.

right thanks guys. thinking about what use have said the car did start after we did the headgasket and there seemed to be alot of white smoke! why is that?
cheers

Back