Do you delcare your mods?

Mines all legit (i wouldnt dare, it not be tbh). But i wouldnt be suprised if theres loads of people about in the UK, who are creative in their disclosure to the insurance companies.

Trouble i find is most insurance people you talk to, dont know what your telling them youve got fitted...so youre kinda trusting them to get it correct anyway.

Yup everything is declared on mine :) I didnt declare anything on my Green K11 except the Alloys. Its 100% worth declaring it,for the sake of keeping your insurance and hassle-free from Police

What's the point of declaring Mods anyway?

It's just another way for the Insurance companies to make money imo. :suspect:

If I fit 300mm discs on my car and 6 pots to go with it does that mean I'm going to drive faster or am I going to stop quicker?

Both :p I know its a rip off,but it does pay to have them declared.

When i wrote my green K11 off,only my alloys were declared. Luckily i got a pay out for EVERYTHING,otherwise i would have got paid out for the car and just the alloys.

If mods arent declared on your insurance and you are involved in an accident. The insurance companies may refuse to pay out for those mods and will void your policy. Meaning you'll get NOTHING back

Both :p I know its a rip off,but it does pay to have them declared.

When i wrote my green K11 off,only my alloys were declared. Luckily i got a pay out for EVERYTHING,otherwise i would have got paid out for the car and just the alloys.

If mods arent declared on your insurance and you are involved in an accident. The insurance companies may refuse to pay out for those mods and will void your policy. Meaning you'll get NOTHING back

more importantly really, they wont pay anything atall, including if you hurt someone, and you will have to pay their personal injury out of your own pocket!! thats expensive!

I haven't got any mods worth declaring to companies.

Part of the reason I have no mods is because of the whole process of declaring them.

The thing that gets me, is you see loads of ricers and chavs etc floating round in their pimped up crapmobile, and I always wonder if they've declared their mods (if they have insurance at all).

I declare all my mods - it's hasn't bumped up the premium so far, but we will see next year! Trouble is, I don't know half of whats standard on my car and what isn't!

I don't really have any mod's worth declaring, but I phoned the company, (direct line) asked how much it would cost next year, with some lowering springs, and a exhaust system. He said, 'How deep are your pockets'.

Basically he said, any bodywork things, that dont affect performance, they dont care about, but they do like to know.

Nothing worth declaring on my car, if I crash and it's my fault my excess is almost the value of the car anyway... So I doubt they would give me anything.

I did find an insurance company once that gave the same quotes no matter what mods I put on my car. (was just playing around checking the prices with mods) Sadly I forget the name.

not the thing to post up on a fourm TBH, if you dont de-clare mods and say it on fourms everyone is gonna have ago at you for not doing so. and alot of people aint really gonna admitt to it lol.

all my audio's covered up to £500 (even though there is'nt much there anymore). The only other thing is a momo steering wheel and I've never really got round to declaring that, cant really see how it would effect the insurance anyway???

I don't think this is really fair, but it is almost certainly true. If you are driving a different vehicle than you insured, you are possibly not insured. Does adding big brakes and a custom exhaust make your car a different vehicle? I don't know - the rational thing to do is to talk to the insurance company.

I had the important mods declared on my micra, wheels, exhaust, and stereo. On the glanza, i had my FMIC and exhaust declared. No mods on my new one so standard policy.

If I'm just covered 3rd party I don't bother, why pay more when you aren't gunna get any money for anything anyway.

Insurance companies mess up anyway, I paid double what I should have because I went for an import insurance company for my bike (which is an import) and this company that supposedly specializes in this bike got the model wrong which means I'm not covered in the event of an accident

It's a very grey area.

For instance, putting super S bumpers or spoiler on a non super S micra? Is this a mod? Does the insurance company know this is a mod? Surely if it's an OEM part, then it could of been an optional extra? Perhaps this is the bumper that you got when you broke your other one, without knowing.

off me chest lol!

hurrumph....

When you buy anything for your car whether it'd be "performance related" or just "bling" you'll hardly ever get your money back even if you sell it on 2nd hand, Insurance companies that threaten policy holders are basically blackmailing them into paying for things that have absolutely nothing to do with them as an Insurance broker/company. You're supposed to be Insured for crashing into someone else and they into you.

What they should be saying is that if the policy holder is unfortunate to have an accident then all mods will not be covered. (maybe you could Insure them separately for less somewhere else?)

What makes me grr is the fact that people who buy really expensive cars ie 40+ Driver + Car @ £20,000+ are not going to pay more than a few thou for their Insurance. which is where the younger drivers come in to pay for these spivs....So maybe this why the the Insurance is so expensive for the MIcra Cars in which a large majority drive?

What's next? The Tyres? The Colour of your car? Do you wear a baseball cap? :glare:

They're making a mint and we're willing to pay because of this country's fetish with vehicles and the stuff we can put on them....I think :wasntme:

well after all that here's my message to the Insurance companies
1928_middle_finger.gif

Interesting posts, however I don't think some of you are really thinkng about this from an Insurance point of view.

Insurance prices are based on many factors; there are so many people with different circumstances (Age, Where they live and so on). An insurance company needs to take all these relevant things in to account based on precedence to give people competitive prices.

Age is a good example; young drivers are usually cocky; boasting their limited knowledge on cars and their limited practical skills on the road. I know some individuals aren't like this, but how can insurance company make accounts for such people when they're insuring the better part of a whole country of drivers.

Unfortunate for some, but not for others; is where they live. Some areas are at higher risk than others regarding theft and damage. Which relates to the TYPE/MAKE of car one is driving. Someone made a post earlier about a standard K10 fitted with the K10 Super S body kit. Well, in a nutshell, the Super S model would be more attractive to a potential thief. I know this might sound silly to some people, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the reality.

A thief would rather steal the biggest diamond, rather than the smaller one; simply because it's more attractive and worth more. The base price of a K10 entry level as opposed to the top model K10 Super S would be a few thou' back in the day (I'm assuming). So insurance companies I could only assume, would in their benefit, take this in to account.

A real life example would be where my old LX Micra 1.3 was less expensive to insure than my previous SR Micra; because of the features it has.

Insurance companies insure people so that they are covered if they have an accident. As I see it, they insure you ASSUMING you will follow the rules of the road, using the vehicle that you've declared on your insurance. They have all the relevant information on the car that is declared, and so therefore have their own educated guess as to how dangerous this car could potentially be to a person based on their age, location and other generals.

So when one modifies their car and doesn't inform the insurance company, then in MY opinion, I believe that they shouldn't really pay out for your expences to replace the car. My reasons for this is because when you change your car from standard, you're lying to your insurance company because you're driving a vehicle that differs from the information they have on it. When they believe it's factory standard, and you're driving a modified version of the vehicle, your contract and agreement with them are pretty much void; because you haven't informed them of the change.

Anyways, yeah. If you feel like arguing with me. Please don't.

more importantly really, they wont pay anything atall, including if you hurt someone, and you will have to pay their personal injury out of your own pocket!! thats expensive!

Wrong, the insurance company must pay out third-party claims. However they will and more often than not, take the policy holder to court to reclaim the expenses.

If I'm just covered 3rd party I don't bother, why pay more when you aren't gunna get any money for anything anyway.

Insurance companies mess up anyway, I paid double what I should have because I went for an import insurance company for my bike (which is an import) and this company that supposedly specializes in this bike got the model wrong which means I'm not covered in the event of an accident

I had a Hyosung GT125R which my insurance covered as a Hyosung GT125 as they didn't have the 125R on their system.

It was cheaper, and they gave me the same price, but there are a few suspension and geometry differences between the bikes aswell as a performance difference.

They was adament it was fine, however, if I had an accident I'm not sure whether they would see it as being "fine" when they had to pay out.

I only changed the speakers so didn't declare them purely because Dad didn't know as I was on his insurance lol

So when one modifies their car and doesn't inform the insurance company, then in MY opinion, I believe that they shouldn't really pay out for your expences to replace the car. My reasons for this is because when you change your car from standard, you're lying to your insurance company because you're driving a vehicle that differs from the information they have on it. When they believe it's factory standard, and you're driving a modified version of the vehicle, your contract and agreement with them are pretty much void; because you haven't informed them of the change.

What defines one model of car from another though? At the end of the day, most cars have 4 wheels and an engine, on a chassis with bodywork. At which point do you draw the line as to the car model has changed? Is it simply a badge, or is it the body work, or the chassis?

Does changing your alloys count as a different car? Doubtful. Does putting a bumper from a different car change it's model. Doubtful.

I can understand putting a whole new engine in, or doing extensive bodywork modifications, almost to the point of being a Q registration. But simply putting lowering springs on doesn't change the make or model of car. It's the same car, just so much lower. Nothing a change in tyre profile can't acheive. Do you declare a change in tyre profile?

Technically some companys would want you to declare a change in tyre profile from standard yes ;)

I declare all my performance mods, as quinn don't want to know about the rest.
I didn't on my K10, which was silly looking back, but what's done is done.

What defines one model of car from another though? At the end of the day, most cars have 4 wheels and an engine, on a chassis with bodywork. At which point do you draw the line as to the car model has changed? Is it simply a badge, or is it the body work, or the chassis?

Does changing your alloys count as a different car? Doubtful. Does putting a bumper from a different car change it's model. Doubtful.

I can understand putting a whole new engine in, or doing extensive bodywork modifications, almost to the point of being a Q registration. But simply putting lowering springs on doesn't change the make or model of car. It's the same car, just so much lower. Nothing a change in tyre profile can't acheive. Do you declare a change in tyre profile?

When you mod the car, it becomes a more of an attractive target to theives. Lowering the car does change the car, because it is not factory standard any more, which the insurance company believes you are driving.

Lowering the car does change the car, because it is not factory standard any more, which the insurance company believes you are driving.

It's just a spring. 35mm ones which cost the same as OEM originals aren't going to bother them. Same as fitted uprated shocks, what they can't see won't really bother them. Even if you claim, they're probably not going to know by looking at them if they're standard or not unless they look uprated. If you have coilovers or something that looks different, then they're going to know when the car is inspected.

With regards to the micra, the body kit and spoilers were all covered as factory optional extras, even though they weren't fitted to the car in the factory. Different models had different bits, and they're not going to know what ones have what bits fitted.

From what I hear, insurance assesors don't know anything about cars anyway, so...

Modifying doesn't outright make it more attractive to theives. Hell, half the modified stuff on the road today I wouldn't even touch, let alone steal. And surely if you've got a pimping body kit and alloys, your car is more noticable to the police?

Big grey area.

It's just a spring. 35mm ones which cost the same as OEM originals aren't going to bother them. Same as fitted uprated shocks, what they can't see won't really bother them. Even if you claim, they're probably not going to know by looking at them if they're standard or not unless they look uprated. If you have coilovers or something that looks different, then they're going to know when the car is inspected.

With regards to the micra, the body kit and spoilers were all covered as factory optional extras, even though they weren't fitted to the car in the factory. Different models had different bits, and they're not going to know what ones have what bits fitted.

All in all, it's illegal. Same way speeding is and other motoring offences. People don't like others to mention anything about racing on here yet some try to justify modifications on a car and not informing their insurance about it. In the end, you're lying to your insurance company.

Baisically what you're saying is, whatever they can't see, you'll try to get away with. Insurance doesn't and isn't supposed to work like that. They will insure your car with the trust that you're driving the specified vehicle. If you're driving a modified version of it, the insurance can just believe that the accident was caused because of the mods' you've made to it. You make it easy for them to refuse the claim.

As far as I know, they do know the difference in factory optional extras. As I've stated before, the LX was cheaper to insure than the SR.

To capnmchl:

From "what you hear", I'm sure accesors do have some idea of whether are car is modified or not. We cannot assume all of them are stupid.

You are correct, modifying doesn't always (you were missing this word) make a car more attractive to theives. However, sometimes they can. Also, I'm assuming you're not a theif, so the idea of stealing one's car is ridiculous in your eyes, however, not everyone shares your morals.

If you do have body kits and alloys, and whatever stuff you fit to your car. You are more noticable to the police, if you're unlucky enough, they can pull you over and ask if you've delcared all your mods to the insurance. If not, they'll probably tell you then and there at your insurance is void because you didn't inform them and that you're pretty much driving the car with no insurance.

I agree the insurance is a rip off...all the companies ive talked with asked for the costs of things, and everytime i was told that id be unlikely to get anywhere near that if i made a claim...plus theyd go "a micra eh...written off". Which isnt exactly the point of insurance.

If i crash into someone, unless its alot of damage to mine chances are, id not even claim for my car cos its not worth it.

i declared all my mods on the TURBO K11 but was stupid money £1,400 for the year :eek:

But always always declare everything u change on your car if you dont then your insurance is invalid and u are not legaly alowed to drive on the road!

No they can't get out of their third party obligations.

Thats correct but you can expect them to sue you personally to recover their losses if you have not taken out full cover and lied to them etc.

As far as I know, they do know the difference in factory optional extras. As I've stated before, the LX was cheaper to insure than the SR..

That's different models, not different options. You can buy any base LX model and put spoilers and alloys on it from factory, where as the SR will be a 1.3, have ABS, central locking, etc. A more valuable model.

No you get the same options across all models lol, and thats my point. The insurance companies don't know which cars have what options.

my argument is im third party fire and theft as a named driver,car on a drive way and with cliford alarm

im 17 and paying £2000 on a 1.0l micra as a named driver,how on earth do the expect a 17 year old to pay that ?

and now they want to make it ilegal to be a named drive ,when really your the main driver and not your dad/mum

so then we will have to end up insuring the cars on our own which is about £3000 a year tpft

its a scam !!!!!
my car only cost £500 and there wanting to charge ridiculous prices to just be legal on the road,because lets face it on tpft with a £250 accsess its not even worth the hassle claiming,so realy im only paying £2000 to be road legal

sometimes i wonder is there any point at all insuring my car.

to me modifying my car making it stand out and look different to everybody elses micra is a hobbie i enjoy it and its where all my money goes (not drugs,or alcohol ) all my money goes to paying stupid insurance prices and towards my hobbie (modiying my car)

so why on earth should i spend even more money making my insurance go to an even higher price just to do what i enjoy ??????

why should i have to pay stupid prices to have a hobby it really does get me mad

the police make me so mad as well im for ever getting stopped and checked for insurance ect ect

like would they rather me be a thug/chav on the shops causing havock and causeing damage to people property ect and drinking/smokeing drugs ect wasting money on drugs and drink

or would the rather me drive around in a modified car which keeps me off the streets and occupied and where all my hard earnd money goes.

tbh i think id get less hassle doing the 1st option

and now they want to make it ilegal to be a named drive ,when really your the main driver and not your dad/mum

it already is. I have never known any one that got caught, but I read insurance companies have teams dedicated to catching people doing this.

my argument is im third party fire and theft as a named driver,car on a drive way and with cliford alarm

im 17 and paying £2000 on a 1.0l micra as a named driver,how on earth do the expect a 17 year old to pay that ?

so then we will have to end up insuring the cars on our own which is about £3000 a year tpft

its a scam !!!!!
my car only cost £500 and there wanting to charge ridiculous prices to just be legal on the road,because lets face it on tpft with a £250 accsess its not even worth the hassle claiming,so realy im only paying £2000 to be road legal

sometimes i wonder is there any point at all insuring my car.

to me modifying my car making it stand out and look different to everybody elses micra is a hobbie i enjoy it and its where all my money goes (not drugs,or alcohol ) all my money goes to paying stupid insurance prices and towards my hobbie (modiying my car)

so why on earth should i spend even more money making my insurance go to an even higher price just to do what i enjoy ??????

why should i have to pay stupid prices to have a hobby it really does get me mad

the police make me so mad as well im for ever getting stopped and checked for insurance ect ect

like would they rather me be a thug/chav on the shops causing havock and causeing damage to people property ect and drinking/smokeing drugs ect wasting money on drugs and drink

or would the rather me drive around in a modified car which keeps me off the streets and occupied and where all my hard earnd money goes.

tbh i think id get less hassle doing the 1st option

It's unfortunate that you pay a lot for your insurance, however, this is based on precedence.

You pay stupid prices to stay legal.

There are lots of hobbies that cost as much money as modifing cars, you do it because you love doing it. The money doesn't matter, it's what you want to do.

And when you're tpft your car isn't insured anyway unless the accident isn't your fault, you're paying to insure damage you could do to other people and property.

Don't blame insurance companies for high premiums, blame the people who make it that high.

Back