Definitive guide to lowering???

wehey

Ex. Club Member
Has anyone written one??
I have spent days searching on here looking nto all the possabilities regarding lowering my Micra but have come away with more questions than answers.
I have come across cutting springs, buying springs, buying new shocks and springs, cutting new springs, replacing existing with parts from other cars, panhard rods, bushes etc etc and the list goes on...........im confused.com

So how I go about achieving a 50mm drop cheaply, so I don't have to change anything to pass an MOT ??

well dont cut the springs that makes the car all bouncy from what i heard, and if your lowering you will want handling and i cant imagine cutting the springs and making the car all bouncy and stuff helping the handling at all.

panhard rods connect to something that stops the suspension from moving longitudinally and laterally, basically so the suspension only goes up and down i think (im not too sure, i read it somewhere put forgot)

if you just want the drop just buy the springs, i bought some 30mm lowering springs but im not putting them on until i got some decent shock absorbers on aswell, but if your just wanting the drop just buy the springs and they will be fine, a lot of info can be found on the forum, just takes a bit of researching and reading

you wont get any concensus on this lol, everybody had their own opinion :p

So there are many ways to skin this cat then eh??

So what are the various options/combo's I could go for??

Option 1: 4 new springs from fleabay
Option 2: ......................................

Cant you buy 50mm drop springs? (sure ive seen it mentioned or were they custom)

Unfortunatly im gonna side with frank and karlj aswell. Lots of opinions.

Ive had 35mm drop on shocks and springs and ran coilovers, they're the only two i can comment on. Ones cheaper than the other both stiffen the suspension to give "handles on rails" effect, the cheaper was more comfortable but then im about twice as low on the coilovers.

upto 35mm you can get away without a panhard rod, over it and either fit a modded bush (frank knows) or fit an adjustable panhard. Not sure if 50mm is on the modded bushes limit.

1) commonest sizes for lowering springs are 35, 50 and 60mm, although ive not particularly looked for micras.
2) the bigger the budget you have completely determines how good the suspension will be.
you can get non-adjustable, adjustable and multi-adjustable dampers.
non adjustable are cheap (£50 alone or upto £200 with springs as well)
1-way adjustable dampers mean you can control the amount of compression and rebound damping you have. because its 1-way, increasing compression will decrease damping and vice versa. (look at £300 upwards)
2-way adjustable dampers mean you can control compression and rebound damping independant of each other (£500 per corner)

I'm currently looking into modifying the standard micra dampers to be slower damping (ie, harder) to use with standard micra springs cut down. the extra strength in the damping should compensate for the softness of the spring, giving a good ride with lots of feel.

and they always say "it handles like its on rails" regardless whatever they have just fitted :p

Less like rails, more like cobbles :p

Tom, if you are thinking about re-oiling the dampers I'd be very interested in hearing about your results.

My 2p worth, I think Frank pretty much has it nailed - as usual - for budget/actual performance. Something like his hybrid methods using Matiz struts and I think he's on corsa rear shocks with cut down micra springs (correct me if im wrong Frank). Next step up is adjustable spring platform coilovers on the front, modded from Corsa components - you'll get the corsa rear shocks in the set too. And from there you can spend as much money as you have on micra specific full coilovers and componets of various adjustability and brand sticker.

Cut springs with stock shocks can be done, you'll need to wire/cable tie the springs into the cups at the front, and use straps or shorter/modified travel shocks at the rear. Don't expected it to be performance enhancing. Don't expect your wife/girlfriend to like travelling in it. It is however monitarily (did I just make that word up?) free and time cheap.

The stock shock absorber mod gives very good effects - had them on one of my micras - and I used cut springs. It felt great but I was only 20 at the time :)

All i can add is i lowered mine 40mm with FK springs, standard shocks, standard panhard rod, fitted 15" wheels with decent 195/45x15 tyres and handling was vastly improved, a lot less roll and the ride wasn't at all harsh it made the car far more pleasurable to drive, all i would say is, if you go any lower i would get an adjustable panhard.

Back