I'm a newbie, wanting to lower my K11..

Hi,

I've just bought a 1993 K11 1.0 and the first thing I want to do mod wise is lower it..properly. I'm talking anything between 80 & 120mm. I've done some research recently and I think the best option for me is modified a Corsa B coilovers/K11 lowering springs hybrid, with a panhard rod, but now I don't know where to begin with going about buying the right parts & from whom.

I would really appreciate some advice from more experienced owners, so I can get it all done as cheaply as possible. Also, I'm interested to hear if anyone's got any opinions/advice on alternatives for the set-up I'm thinking of, as I know I'm not experienced (I'm actually a new driver) & there's a chance I'm making the wrong decision altogether.

Thanks in advance :D

Karl has a point
...It may be worth waiting for at least the first years NCD before you start any modifying...otherwise your insurer willl want both your kidneys...not just the one :p

Your insurance company WON'T let you go more than 50mm and they're going to charge you around £300 for the addition of lowered suspension (source: Did it on my 106). Anything more than a 50mm drop they will flat out tell you they won't insure you.

I've been there, I've done it and I wish I'd saved all the money I flunked on red tape to use on my mods for the year after.

HOWEVER on the plus side if you decide to go about 50mm lower you're gonna save a lot more money and hassle. You can get 40mm springs for about £80 and they're a straight swap.

I'll see how things go, because my insurer may be doing a deal that if I were to transfer my provisional insurance over to a Full UK License quote, I'll get a year's no claims, regardless of how long I've been driving.

If that doesn't work out for what ever reason, it's going to be so hard not to mod the car, it looks so dull & plain at the moment..but I suppose if I have to wait I'll have to wait :(

Thanks for your help though guys :)

Try adrian flux, once declared as a modded car further mods that don't increase power are free and don't need declaring.

I'm still on a provision, got my test coming up, but I'm so tempted to buy some corsa coilies & micra springs & get started modifying them to fit.. :(

Karl is right about insurance, but mine is relatively low compared to a lot of other people I know, & I don't mind paying a little extra to get it sitting right

Join corsa forum and keep an eye out in sale section for second hand coilies, and if you're feeling brave you can cut and weld the panhard rod...

if you're feeling brave you can cut and weld the panhard rod...

i did this and it works fine! didnt even remove from the car

you have to add material (i used some 1/2" tube ) because when you lower the car, the distance the panhard rod had to cover is longer.

simply slice the panhard rod, clamp the tube in place with mole grips and go at it! you need to do this while the car's on the ground on its wheels so you get it right.

before you go at it, give the body a bit of a shove around at the back to settle it, then check that the wheel gap is the same left and right! you dont want to weld it wonky!

i did this and it works fine! didnt even remove from the car

you have to add material (i used some 1/2" tube ) because when you lower the car, the distance the panhard rod had to cover is longer.

simply slice the panhard rod, clamp the tube in place with mole grips and go at it! you need to do this while the car's on the ground on its wheels so you get it right.

before you go at it, give the body a bit of a shove around at the back to settle it, then check that the wheel gap is the same left and right! you dont want to weld it wonky!
Although this is an option, you will need to SHORTEN your panhard rod: simple trigonometry;)
If you want to do it on the cheap then I suggest getting one of frank's nylon bushes as it's safer:) especially if you don't want a massive drop. You really don't want your panhard rod to fail!

Back