Lowering AGAIN

I've been reading the recent threads about lowering with interest.

I originally intended to do things in stages, I was going to fit Eibach Pro Kit springs for a short time on the standard shocks using the same strut top mounts and not even changing the rear spring isolator bushes, literally I was hoping to just fit the springs, see how it performed and proceed from there.

Depending what you advice you read some folk say standard shocks are good as long as the drop isn't drastic, others say it's a heinous crime to do that.

Upon inspection I discovered the top nuts of my existing shocks were rusted and most likely wouldn't come off without some destructive improvisation so that put an end to my wanting to do things in stages.

So now I need to buy two front shocks (and the back pair and isolator bushes) and the new strut top mount kits, there's no point faffing around buying some temporary replacements so I am buying a set of four Bilstein B8's, the other advantage is that I can build the suspension legs easier on the bench instead of having to dismantle and use the old shocks which will no longer be serviceable anyway because of the rusty top nuts.

If you add up the cost of buying the best quality components, the cost of lowering a K12 isn't just the cost of some springs, to do a thorough complete job with the best parts you also have to buy the front top strut mount kits, two sets of rear spring isolator bushes, add those to the cost of the springs and new shocks then you are easily having to spend somewhere in the region of £500-£600.

Moral of my story is plan to spend more than you think if you want a proper job.

IMG_0056.jpeg
IMG_0057.jpeg
IMG_0058.jpeg

Last edited:
yes you are right, I just ripped the lot out and replaced with new, including new inner and outer track rod ends, new brakes front and back drives like new and well worth the effort, check out my parts list and you can save lots.:unsure:

This is an expensive modification to justify the cost of, I said £500-600, actually its closer to £800, I am not including track rod ends in my estimation either.

My 1.4 Sport is even with the standard suspension very direct and chuckable so I can't wait to get the new suspension fitted.

After a long chats with the KYB Technical (Micra K12 factory OEM shock absorber supplier) I have decided to return the Eibach Pro springs and am going with the Sportline springs with new KYB gas shocks at significantly lower cost than Bilstein's.

Was looking at a SR160 donor car to remove all parts from including suspension system..bumpers wheels and interior trim.
Mainly looking at the front and rear bumper but noticed that I could get a lot more this way it is a none starter but the engine turns. 2005 and very tidy condition indeed.
Would this be possible to just swap over and not buy anything else.
Only down side I can see is the bumpers would need a respray.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Lowering of my Micra vehicle.
Was done with E10-63-010-01-22 Eibach Pro-Kit Federn für Tieferlegung NISSAN MICRA III 25-30mm . With original tire size 185/50-16, diameter 591mm, clearance from wheel to fender is ~45mm. For SR160 lowering is 25-30mm with linked springs, that's low enough for me on Finnish roads and speed bumps with 16" wheels. I don't need to dramatically slow down when driving to speed bumbs, drive ways/yard roads and no rubbing to inner fenders.
And these springs includes TUV-certificate in order to pass Finnish MOT.

This is an expensive modification to justify the cost of, I said £500-600, actually its closer to £800, I am not including track rod ends in my estimation either.

My 1.4 Sport is even with the standard suspension very direct and chuckable so I can't wait to get the new suspension fitted.

After a long chats with the KYB Technical (Micra K12 factory OEM shock absorber supplier) I have decided to return the Eibach Pro springs and am going with the Sportline springs with new KYB gas shocks at significantly lower cost than Bilstein's.
I had the kyb shocks fitted when I had the suspension replaced, and eibach pro springs added. They dont work well with the pro springs. I've got a pair of bilstein b8s for the rear, waiting to be fitted. Also have some 14 inch autec wheels, and 185/60/14 tyres on order. If they do the trick, will get the bilstein b8s for the front. If not, will go back to standard 160sr springs.

I had the kyb shocks fitted when I had the suspension replaced, and eibach pro springs added. They dont work well with the pro springs. I've got a pair of bilstein b8s for the rear, waiting to be fitted. Also have some 14 inch autec wheels, and 185/60/14 tyres on order. If they do the trick, will get the bilstein b8s for the front. If not, will go back to standard 160sr springs.

Ah I see were they the standard oil KYB shocks or the Excel-G gas type
Excel G. Tbh, I was initially disappointed with their appearance. The metal ring around the casing looked a bit cheap. I know that doesn't say much, but it's what I thought. I was persuaded to buy them, by re views and garb.

The tyres on the back which came with the car, I've found are the cheapest Chinese they are, so probably doesn't help.

The smaller wheel and larger profile Michelins should improve things.

Will let you know when the bilsteins have been fitted, if they make a difference.

That's an immensely kind offer, thanks!

I'd be very interested to know how your car is with the Bilstein's fitted, I agree also that the tyres and wheels make a difference to the feel of the car, I am currently running Kumho Ecsta HS51 tyres, they have good grip but are let down by the fuel economy, my car still on the standard suspension springs and shocks is I'd say a medium firm ride. I generally read that Eibach's either Pro or Sportline are pretty much the same in terms of comfort just lower.

Your tyre/wheel size combination are unusual, I don't think we could make a direct comparison because of that because the tyres do affect the feel of the car so much.

That's an immensely kind offer, thanks!

I'd be very interested to know how your car is with the Bilstein's fitted, I agree also that the tyres and wheels make a difference to the feel of the car, I am currently running Kumho Ecsta HS51 tyres, they have good grip but are let down by the fuel economy, my car still on the standard suspension springs and shocks is I'd say a medium firm ride. I generally read that Eibach's either Pro or Sportline are pretty much the same in terms of comfort just lower.

Your tyre/wheel size combination are unusual, I don't think we could make a direct comparison because of that because the tyres do affect the feel of the car so much.

I'm having rears done friday, will know then whether to get bilsteins for front.

The wheel/tyre combo I've gone for is almost the same total diameter and width, but will give a softer ride. Did it for comfort, although have also read a lighter wheel will give better responsiveness. I do know the standard 160 sr wheels are heavy alloys, and 14s will be lighter, offset by larger tyre walls.

The higher side wall of the higher profile tyres will certainly make a difference how the car feels compared to the set up you'll have with the standard 160SR/Sport alloys, I agree your intended set up would be somewhat more comfortable however not sure about the trade off between comfort and handling...

Sparky2018, I think having a complete donor car is a great idea for the mechanical parts you'll need however if the donor car is the same pre 2008 facelift version then the interior trim won't be any different form your current car. Just last week I installed the facelift centre console and radio surround/air vents into my 56 plate K12. I have the pre facelift centre console and double height radio surround for sale, I posted some photos of them, have a look here: FOR SALE