Dash lighting change

Hi guys, i am new here, we just bought a 2006 K12 here, it is mainly for my wife use, as i have my evo. :)

My wife is asking how to change the dash lighting please? As now they are like yellow colour, we have seen some cool one for oversea, they have bule or red on their dash light. So we would like to make our K12 a bit different as well.

Any help please?

Cheers.

Samo

Ive never lookes as i have a k11 but try removing the clocks from the dash and see if you can see anything, on the k11 they are the smaller of the lights in the back of the clocks and they turn a lil then pull out, hope this helps

Ive never lookes as i have a k11 but try removing the clocks from the dash and see if you can see anything, on the k11 they are the smaller of the lights in the back of the clocks and they turn a lil then pull out, hope this helps

Thanks a lot, i just would like to ask anyone has done this before?

Yes, i just want to make my wife's k12 looks nicer.

I believe the K12 dashboard, if it's the same as the one in my sport+ has an orange colour to the semi-transparent bits that light up. So if you put any other lights behind them it will still glow orange (or some messed up hue to that effect), I suspect however that the facelift ones (maybe n-tec?) have white glowing dials. So maybe you could scavenge a dash out of one of them, no idea wether it would work out of the box though.

From what I've seen of the dashboard in my K12 as well, you're going to have a fun time getting them out if you do go down this route. Is nowhere near as cut and dry as the K11 used to be.

I believe the K12 dashboard, if it's the same as the one in my sport+ has an orange colour to the semi-transparent bits that light up. So if you put any other lights behind them it will still glow orange (or some messed up hue to that effect), I suspect however that the facelift ones (maybe n-tec?) have white glowing dials. So maybe you could scavenge a dash out of one of them, no idea wether it would work out of the box though.

From what I've seen of the dashboard in my K12 as well, you're going to have a fun time getting them out if you do go down this route. Is nowhere near as cut and dry as the K11 used to be.

Thanks a lot matey. i am going to see what i can do for it, and i will try to get some photos up.

First you pry off the upper panel of the dashboard lifting from the edges facing the doors then lifting the other clips and finally pulling it towards the seats and taking it out.
This will reveal a screw at the top of the instrument cluster which you have to remove.
You then have to remove the silver accent ring which surrounds your cluster This will reveal two screws on either side of your cluster which you also so remove then you just yank the cluster from the top towards the windscreen from there its as easy as changing a light bulb just read the markings on the circuit board to determine which one is the backlight.

First you pry off the upper panel of the dashboard lifting from the edges facing the doors then lifting the other clips and finally pulling it towards the seats and taking it out.
This will reveal a screw at the top of the instrument cluster which you have to remove.
You then have to remove the silver accent ring which surrounds your cluster This will reveal two screws on either side of your cluster which you also so remove then you just yank the cluster from the top towards the windscreen from there its as easy as changing a light bulb just read the markings on the circuit board to determine which one is the backlight.

Thank you very much, i am going to have a go this weekend.

Thank you very much, i am going to have a go this weekend.

I think you'll also need to take the rubber door seals and the A-Pillar trims off to get the top of the dash off, that's what I had to do when I was replacing the stereo in my car! Guy has an excellent tutorial under the stereo section on http://micrak12.com/ so that should get you started!

I'm gonna have a go also. Btw, do you know if this is the same as the heater control unit for changing the back light for that?

Back