Red car /key light on dash

Hi all, newbie here!
I'm planning on buying my second Micra.
Can I just have your thoughts on a car I've seen please before I purchase?

After recently having a nightmare with a golf tdi (had it 3 weeks and had to get rid as riddled with issues which left me 1k down!), I've decided to go back to the old faithful micras.

So this one is a 1.5 DIESEL, 54 plate. It's done 154k, FSH, 4 owners I believe, good MOT (March 2024) and not a bad MOT history. I had a 1.2 petrol about 5 years ago, loved that car and always said I'd have another Micra!

BUT when looking at the photos again, the seller has got the key in from what I can make out and the engine is ON, but the red car with the key in is glowing solid red. It's a bit hard to tell from the photos, it could have just caught it in the photo as it was flashing but I'm not 100 %.

Now I'm trying to think back to when I had my old Micra - I used to be able to drive that without a key in it at all. Just turn the little nob thingy and I'd be off. I really can't remember if that light came on to tell me I was driving it without a key in it or not.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please. I really don't want to buying another problem after the nightmare I've just had and we are currently without a car!

I've googled the crap out of it today and all I can seem to find is if its flashing red and not solid red, battery in key fob, could be ECU etc.

Also any good and bad experiences with the diesels please!
Tia x

The 1.5 diesel uses a timing belt not a chain, that said a new timing belt/ water pump and new alternator belt would be adviced on the vehicle if you did purchase this. they are very good on fuel but need regular maintenance. The more power its pumps out, the 65 horses guise will stand more miles between services, but the 82 BHP variant comes with a modest turbo power and the sports diesel requires more maintenance. so this is totally dependant on the specific model you are considering?:unsure:

Last edited:
The 1.5 diesel uses a timing belt not a chain, that said a new timing belt/ water pump and new alternator belt would be adviced on the vehicle if you did purchase this. they are very good on fuel but need regular maintenance. The more power its pumps out, the 65 horses guise is the none turbo model and will stand more miles between services, but the 82 BHP variant comes with a modest turbo power and the sports diesel requires more maintenance. so this is totally dependant on the specific model you are considering?:unsure:
Hi, thanks for your reply. It's the urbis 1.5 dci model.. It's been well maintained too.

well worth a viewing, if its not for you after a test drive you can always walk away, if you like what you see then you may have a little gem if all checks out.

well worth a viewing, if its not for you after a test drive you can always walk away, if you like what you see then you may have a little gem if all checks out.
I had a micra about 5 years ago but a 1.2 petrol. Loved it! But then when it conked out on me we went to a 2l golf tdi
🤣. I've got so used to driving a diesel, I don't know why and forgive me for sounding daft but petrol cars feel "flimsy" to me now. Hence why were looking at best of both worlds... Small, nippy, easier on the pocket in terms of running costs but something with a bit more oomph. If that makes sense?

You will get a great driving experience with the Micra, just a little info about the Diesel engine, it was designed by nissan/renault and is fitted still to this day in vans cars etc with a few mods over the years but basically its the same engine that's been in production for over 20 years, so parts are plentiful and cheap, the braking system is basically the same for most models and parts are available from either Nissan or Renault, I have a parts list on the forum. this is the best place for support, practical tips and links for parts/help etc.:)

Back