Help, no rear lights or dash lighting

S

slamdunk

I changed the stereo on my father in laws Micra yesterday, the original head unit was a Nissan badged Blaupunkt tape player, I swapped this with a Sony CD headunit. As I was slightly pushed for time I cut wires and soldered rather than driving the 30 mile round trip to Halfords for a harness adaptor. The install went well and everything worked fine (stereo played, was switched on and off with ignition and the permanent live kept the memory and clock on when the key was removed). The original unit had 2 connectors in the back, the one on the left had power (switched live, permanent live and what I thought was ground as well as the speaker wires) the right one had 5 wires, one of which was a permanent 5V line. I left these 5 wires alone as I was unsure what they were for (anti theft system?).

My father in law drove the 120 miles home today without trouble, but he noticed that when he put the sidelights on to judge how close he was to the garage wall, they were not working. Dipped and mainbeam work, but he has not got any rear or dash lighting. Also the stereo has started to turn on and off. Is the line that I used for ground actually for dash lighting and the original stereo grounded through the arial lead?

Bloomin' cars!!!

Thanks for any help,

Slam

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
Is the line that I used for ground actually for dash lighting

yes thats what you've done and everytime you turn on your lights you will blow the fuse for the sidelights iirc or it might be another fuse

if you cant find the stock earth just run your own to the closest metal support bracket or closest connector thats got a earth in it

OP
OP
S

slamdunk

Thanks,

I have booked tomorrow off to drive up to correct my faux pas!

Thanks for your help,

Slam

Zephyr

Ex. Club Member
as someone said above it should b the orange illumination wire you connected wrong the fuse is in the engine bay next to the battery (or was with mine lol)