Cut out number plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Just wondering if you thought this was legal?
I checked the laws and it looks like as long as spacing is right (between and above) it would be okay.
It wouldnt have bsau mark though
attachment.php

Attachments

• Number Plate.jpg
    Number Plate.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,975
how about these, i know they're pre'71 but do u think the police will bother about it?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Black and Silver.jpg
    Black and Silver.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 560
im not argueing ......... but why are the 'cut outs' illegal ??

10mm spacing between letters ? 10mm spacing to the out edge ? certain height of characters ??

is this one illegal then ???

http://www.fujisawapower.com/gallery/albums/motorsport/SXOC/jf2007/IMG_5990.jpg

the answer to that is no (10mm spacing, 10mm to edge, correct height of characters).... if you have any doubts/arguements ... state how and and show my info on the net from dvla/cops/ any legitimate source that says otherwise. the shorter plate ie. less digits, lets you cut the plate down and still be within legal requirements. the ''standard plate'' is used throughout as most have standard issue numbers/digits and the rest, that do have persoanlised plates, either (A)couldnt be arsed, or (B)dont know the law

problem about web forums is that there is alot of hearsay etc.

know the law and stick to it ;)

regarding the cut out plates again. im still not sure, but cant find any info to say why they are illegal ...... but they look **** anyway

/rant over :p:p

Why do people bother cutting them down in he first place? What is so difficult about leaving plates as they are? The size of the plate is the size given according to the Law. The cut-out is completely illegal, the Black and white ones go on a specific car aged whatever and the 'paddle' at the front on modern cars is a certain size because the copers have bad eyesight..... if you leave well alone you wont get stopped, easy :)

how about these, i know they're pre'71 but do u think the police will bother about it?

attachment.php

police are taking quite an interest in non post 72 car wearing black plates apparently, on a '78 car you might get away with it 80 or 90's i dont think so. A mate recent got pulled because his '86 Porka 924 was wearing black plates.

The cut outs are in fact 100% legal. The law does not require a background. The spacing in 100% legal and the font is 100% legal. I know this for a fact as they were in Evo Magazine and also a friend of mine has them and has never been pulled over and passed 2 MOT's with them.

the cuts are illegal as far as ive heard..imo they look like you are missing most of your number plate and look a mess! lol

I was under the impression they are road legal.... but just bloody ugly ;) :D

Im sure p11sr20 and swiper told me they were legal on Saturday... but i cant remember

the cuts are illegal as far as ive heard..imo they look like you are missing most of your number plate and look a mess! lol

I would read the post above yours! If they can get through MOT's then they must be legal

fair points they do look a bit crap on reflection but i think the black and white plates look mint on certain cars!

I would read the post above yours! If they can get through MOT's then they must be legal
not always true.
eg. you could pass an MOT with the pre-73 black and silver plates, but they are illegal on anything manufactured after 1973.
also you can fit a loud exhaust and have it pass an MOT, but if the police deem it louder than factory at 4k rpm then that too is illegal.

If the police pull you it goes like this 'oh I'm sorry I thought it was ok as I passed an MOT, I'll get it replaced as soon as possible.'

I was told that exhaust noise limits are lower for the MOT than they are by the police, by an MOT tester! I guess everyone says different things.

In this case, get the cutout plates and change them if you get pulled.

Yeah my exhaust wouldn't pass an MOT but I haven't been pulled, you can hear it roar throughout the entire rev range. Not that it matters it'll be going soon.

I was told that exhaust noise limits are lower for the MOT than they are by the police, by an MOT tester! I guess everyone says different things.

I heard they didn't actually do a noise test but the noise it made was just at the discretion of the tester?

That is pretty much how it works, I think the legal noise limit is 89Db at 1 meter or somethin.

I heard they didn't actually do a noise test but the noise it made was just at the discretion of the tester?

Yeah thats about right. It can fail for excessive noise, i looked it up on one of those MOT guide websites.

The cut outs are in fact 100% legal. The law does not require a background. The spacing in 100% legal and the font is 100% legal. I know this for a fact as they were in Evo Magazine and also a friend of mine has them and has never been pulled over and passed 2 MOT's with them.

this is 100% true, they are 100% legal. there's a company that sells em like that and they advertise that they are legal.

3 main reasons for failing an mot on number plates on vehicles registered after 1st January 1973 are:-

a. A front registration plate does not have black characters on a white background
b. a rear registration plate does not have black characters on a yellow background
c. a registration plate not fixed vertically, or as close to vertical as is reasonably practial.

Taken from....

http://www.motuk.co.uk/default.asp

they seem to comply to the regs (.gov) and i think they look good, but why give the police an excuse to pull you over, legal or not !

They could get you on a charge of causing danger to pedestrians (what with the sharp edges and all)

they are legal, in both cases.

i asked my dad (who's very high up in VOSA) and as long as there is 10mm between the letters, 15 between the sets of letters (dependant on year) and 10mm to the edge. it cn be whatever design you like. but must be white on front, yellow on back unless pre-1972.

Signam (who supply most of the number plate material) have supplied us with the newest 2007 catalogue of legal number plates and there is about 300 different designs that are all bsau approved, including the cutout and micro plates (with standard letters) and "shaped" plates (such as on focus, rover 75 and jaguar s-type)

anyone that says any different is lieing..lol

The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: -

* The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)
* The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier. (The company who actually make the number plates.)
* The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)
* A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions.
* There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

If they don't have the BS mark then they're not legal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back