speaker cut out

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hey guys. this is kinda urgent for JAE!

I fitted my new front speakers yesterday which are amped, however due to lack of cabling, i had to use the original thin as you like speaker wire that came with the speakers.. When i turn my head units volume up so much, they cut out! all my connections are fine, could it be because the wire's too crap and cant cope? When i turn them back down they come back on.

I originally thought this happened when flying round corners but i was stationary earlier and it still did it

Cheers guys :) all responses apprechiated.

What is the gain set to on the amp? What volume on the headunit are you hitting (out of 40 iirc)......

I'll have a look on Friday if your still having problems......

the gain i believe is off or the equivilent in numerical form, however is screwed into the side of my car behind one of the panels and a bit tricky to access!

The volume when tested was around 20

I switched the front / rear / left / right option to Front left only, and that speaker coped fine with the volume on 25.. Switched it to Front centre, and they worked for about two seconds then off.. then came back on for a little, then off.. then switched it to front right, and its on and off very very frequently

Its weird how it differs from left to right! im completely baffled

Then there's a problem with the right speaker...........are they easily accessible from the doors? I'll be bringing my multimeter along, etc anyway!

Sorted my boot today, finally! It's so simple but took blooming ages to do :(

It wont be finished though, but at least the front end will, and it sounds ok to me :).

I've been working on the stereo for 12 hours today, and the good news is the fronts work.... for now, i'l put money on it they'l be cutting out again by tomorrow..

The bad news is i believe i've fried my 1100W kenwood amp that powers both subs, so they no longer work! :(

Yay we're all good on everything!! Cheers to Pete and Ed for checking out my stuff at JAE

Turns out the connector on the speaker were touching the door under heavy vibration, so they're now wrapped in insulation tape.

The amp was completely cream crackered, but it went back to Kenwood for repair and now works fine! I know its the same one as its got the burn mark on one of the connectors :eek:

Anyway, subs work fine and they're soooo loud.. I dont have to turn my speakers down often but i could feel my head going dizzy!

Wayhay - glad its all working :)

So it was the speaker connectors touching the car bodywork! Glad you got that sorted.

Hope you like it! I find my subwoofer too loud if set to '0' on the headunit, so end up blending it in more by attenuating it on the headunit, which is worth a try (goes down to -24 :))

I've replied to your pm btw! :)

Retepetsir said:
Hope you like it! I find my subwoofer too loud if set to '0' on the headunit, so end up blending it in more by attenuating it on the headunit, which is worth a try (goes down to -24 :))

I've replied to your pm btw! :)

Cheers pete, i've emailed you back

I know there's loads of advanced options which i havent really had a look through yet, i've just been using the custom profile you created at JAE, with the BBE on 0 and Bass controller on +9 lol!! i know it can be set up better but i've only spent half hour fiddling with it.. certainly a head turner!

Retepetsir said:
What is the gain set up at on the amp?

Well these are the only adjustable settings on the amp. The figures below are what you told me to select in an email sent a few months back

LPF: 100Hz on the amp, then put it on either 80Hz, 63Hz or 50Hz on the headunit, depending on what sound best
Input Sensitivity: Between 3 and 4 volts
ISF: Off
Phase: 0 degrees

:)

Ok thats cool! The next thing to do is to get it scoped.........which I am hoping to do soon when I find a decent second hand scope on ebay!

Back